COAL gauge longer than manual

skerk

New to the game and wanted to confirm before loading for a ladder test.

Savage 110 tactical 6.5cm

Going to load 127 LRX bullet over H4350, once fired Hornady brass, 210M's.

the Hornady OAL gauge case shows 2.857". The Hornady case & my fire formed case are .001 off.

hornady book shows max COAL @ 2.825" while the Barnes load data shows their COAL @ 2.75".

Barnes suggests a .050" jump to start. This first batch I should be just fine loading at 2.807" COAL, as long as it fits the magazine, correct?

As a hunter, I will be happy with sub MOA, does the seating depths make that much difference or is the powder charge going to make the most noticeable difference?

I would set it at 2.800" and see what happens. Keep things easy. After that try 2.750" and see see happens.

You said you're new, so I would focus on one variable at a time first. Start with powder charge at whatever the book COL is. Ladder up from minimum to a middle load, then make a bunch of those as consistently as you can and see where you're at. Then move on to messing with seating depth to see how it shapes your groups, after you get consistent groups.

No, this is not how someone with a lot of experience will develop a load. It's specifically for someone new to focus on key aspects and actually master a loading skill before moving on to something else. If you try to do it all at once you will chase your tail in circles and get lost in rabbit holes.

We'd all be happy with true sub-MOA loads, but don't expect that from the get go. Notice I keep saying "consistent" groups and not "small". Consistent and repeatable are critical building blocks to work towards small. Sub-MOA loading and shooting is something everyone on the internet can show with three shot groups, but it's not how the real world works. It's going to take time and effort to get there, so start by being absolutely honest with yourself and work on actual, statistically relevant results.

You said you're new, so I would focus on one variable at a time first. Start with powder charge at whatever the book COL is. Ladder up from minimum to a middle load, then make a bunch of those as consistently as you can and see where you're at. Then move on to messing with seating depth to see how it shapes your groups, after you get consistent groups.

No, this is not how someone with a lot of experience will develop a load. It's specifically for someone new to focus on key aspects and actually master a loading skill before moving on to something else. If you try to do it all at once you will chase your tail in circles and get lost in rabbit holes.

We'd all be happy with true sub-MOA loads, but don't expect that from the get go. Notice I keep saying "consistent" groups and not "small". Consistent and repeatable are critical building blocks to work towards small. Sub-MOA loading and shooting is something everyone on the internet can show with three shot groups, but it's not how the real world works. It's going to take time and effort to get there, so start by being absolutely honest with yourself and work on actual, statistically relevant results.
Good info, thank you!

Really I just wanted to reassure 2.800" is a good starting point vs the book. I realize finding the right node of powder will be more important, play with seating depth later. Looking forward to results on the chrono

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.