CO Leftover Help

b6graham

just moved to Colorado a month ago. have a few friends that would come out for a pronghorn hunt (and/or mule deer) this season

obviously leftover tags go on sale tomorrow. is this something we need to buy like right at 9am?

i'm totally lost. We don't mind a harder hunt, i just have no clue what we should be looking for unit/code wise

we would be rifle hunting

any help would be greatly appreciated

-brandon

If you see tags that you want on the leftover list, I'd be ready at 9am sharp. They tend to go fast. CO folks line up at the CPW offices hours before opening too, so the better tags tend to go quick. Some of the less desirable tags on that list will remain available for a while. No guarantees on how long they'll stay since it's first come, first serve.

i guess the 'tags i want' is where i'm stuck haha

i'm in the denver area so staying close would be ideal, but i'll be staying out in the woods

i'm not particularly tied to pronghorn. i;d go hunt elk or deer too. not picky. just want to get out in the woods in addition to an OTC elk tag later in the year

Definitely pick your unit ASAP do your research CO Game Warden Offices are super friendly/helpful.

Don't rely on the internet/public. Go straight to the source.

If you are not going to a license office, you have to keep refreshing until you get through on the web site. Keep in mind hundreds of agents plus internet sales, things get depleted quickly. SE Colorado is probably your best bet due to the number of left over tags. Lot of private land there though can make access tough.

So you will be looking at non resident tags. Most of the leftover antelope tags are in areas with limited public access. The SE Colorado areas public land has the antelope blown out very quickly. If you want to hunt this Fall you would be better off with an OTC Elk area. There's some decent Elk hunting to be found. I am a Denver native and would advise you hunt as far away from the front range as possible.

Multiple guys I hunt with were on early and in the waiting queue. Right at 9am they went in to buy the tags and the ones they were after were gone before you can hit submit. Who knows how many CPW offices and sporting goods stores have guys with teed up hunt codes on the machines ready to hit submit at 9:00. No guarantees on the leftovers. Takes more luck sometimes and quick clicking to snag one.

i messed up on a nice 1st season rifle either sex elk for unit 43. pretty bummed. always next year when i'm a resident and can snag more than one tag

i'll end up going OTC or snag an either sex or cow tag for 4th rifle and hunt with a buddy

If you just moved there, you might not qualify for residency yet. I would check into that first. I don't know Colorado's requirements.
I believe it's 6 months and you have to have a hunter's education card or be verified as well. I don't think you need a qualifying license for this draw though