CO Hunting - GMU 471, 47, 48?

fmajor

I'm not looking for anyone's "honey-hole", just looking for some info on these GMU's.

I'm looking to do a 3rd season, DIY hunt this year (2014) and I'm looking (initially) at these areas (having been through 54 this past year - not again - no thanks).

If it matters and needs to be mentioned; Yes, I'm well acquainted with 4x4 driving/chaining up, snow/winter conditions.

I'm hoping to learn thoughts on herd size, bull/cow ratio's, general migration patterns and any idea about success rates in those areas would be very helpful.

I tried searching through the CDOW site, but couldn't find anything (it doesn't seem to be too well laid out...).

Thanks in advance!!

I'm not looking for anyone's "honey-hole", just looking for some info on these GMU's.

I'm looking to do a 3rd season, DIY hunt this year (2014) and I'm looking (initially) at these areas (having been through 54 this past year - not again - no thanks).

If it matters and needs to be mentioned; Yes, I'm well acquainted with 4x4 driving/chaining up, snow/winter conditions.

I'm hoping to learn thoughts on herd size, bull/cow ratio's, general migration patterns and any idea about success rates in those areas would be very helpful.

I tried searching through the CDOW site, but couldn't find anything (it doesn't seem to be too well laid out...).

Thanks in advance!!

I don't know that area unfortunately, but I can help you with the DOW site. Use the statistics page for herd size, success rates, etc: Statistics | Colorado Parks and Wildlife

Use the mapping software here to map each unit. From there, you can use the toolbox on the left size to get winter and summer areas for the elk as well as migration patterns, etc: Game Management Unit Maps | Colorado Parks and Wildlife

Hope this helps a little bit!

I bow hunted in unit 48 a few years ago, I believe the best area I found was up the road by twin lakes to where it ends and the trail begins and stayed to the north side of the unit. good numbers of elk and bulls but dont know where they would be at 3rd season. Good luck

Thanks for the replies guys!

I looked at the data from the CDOW site and looks like good numbers, but topo maps present the area as a great hiking/fitness spot as well.

As previously stated, I really don't want/nor expect folks to give up "honey hole" info, but some "on-ground" intel is really appreciated.

I'll be getting up that way in a few weeks just to take a look around.

If anyone else has a tidbit or two to add please do! :D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.