CO GMU 5

Muddyboots

Headed there 2nd season 1st time with some fellas from conservation club I belong to and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I always hunted SW CO so this is 1st trip on northern border. I also drew a mule deer tag and hear from the group they see decent bucks but never have tags.

I expect pressure but curious about general herd health from past experiences. Legal bull is fine, past needing a 350 to have fun.

Thx

I live just over the hill from unit 5. Lots of elk but they like the heavy timber. Lots of deer shouldn't have an issue killing one of those. For elk get away from roads. The high alpine or lower oak country is your friend. It's kind of hard to hunt elk in the timber between the oak and alpine. Not impossible just takes luck to find them in the timber.

Elkeater, thx for G2. My initial plan was to go high, glass for first couple days. I may even spike to get above timber for early morn hunt. Staying the entire 9 days so will have some time to scope things out. Staying in tent off 129 near three forks.

ShtrRdy, thx for the link, I had the kill reports for GMU 5 but this site does much better job. Pretty cool software and submitted for GMU 5. The Co Atlas is pretty nice aide and have used it. I am also old school and have topo maps etc. Always appreciate any insight and help.

I'll be bowhunting that unit this year, I can let you know what we see. It's been good in the past but its draw for archery so haven't hunted it in a couple of years. But the old tried and true get away from roads, ATVs, and people and find a hell hole always pays off.

I live by unit 5 and hunted it first season last year. There are elk there, and a lot of hunters. There are a lot of atv trails that make it kinda tough to get away from crowds unless you get some snow. It's mostly rolling terrain with trees and open parks. Productive glassing spots take a little more effort to find than in more open country.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.