CO application

Wolf76

Just a quick question regarding the process of applying for an elk tag. My group is headed to CO this fall and the area we are applying for doesn't take any points to draw(private land). All of us have preference points and don't want to burn them on a first rifle season hunt that doesn't take any. So, does it make any difference if we 1)apply for pref. points first and then our hunt or 2)apply for an area we can't draw and then the hunt that we want. Just curious if it makes any difference.

Thanks in advance!

Of the two options you listed, you can do either... it doesn't matter if you apply for a preference point as first choice, or one of the premium hunts. That is assuming you don't have enough points to draw one of the premium hunts.

I always just put preference point down as my 1st choice option.

just make sure you don't put your actual hunt code down (the tag you want to get on private land) as your first choice, or it will use your preference points no matter what! But it sounds like you already understand that.

Also make sure you fully review the statistics, a hunt may not take any points to draw as a first choice but it doesn't mean that there will automatically be enough tags that move onto 2nd choice. Ideally you already accounted for that and if so just put the preference point code as 1st choice and the actual hunt code as second choice, as noted.

Also make sure you fully review the statistics, a hunt may not take any points to draw as a first choice but it doesn't mean that there will automatically be enough tags that move onto 2nd choice. Ideally you already accounted for that and if so just put the preference point code as 1st choice and the actual hunt code as second choice, as noted.

+1. Right on. Good catch to point this out.

Just a quick question regarding the process of applying for an elk tag. My group is headed to CO this fall and the area we are applying for doesn't take any points to draw(private land). All of us have preference points and don't want to burn them on a first rifle season hunt that doesn't take any. So, does it make any difference if we 1)apply for pref. points first and then our hunt or 2)apply for an area we can't draw and then the hunt that we want. Just curious if it makes any difference.

Thanks in advance!

You need to look at Draw Summaries for 2014 and Private Land only hunt code and see how many tags were left over. If you feel their would be enough left that you could draw 2nd choice hunt code I would do that.

First choice hunt code I would pick a unit that you couldn't draw tag for.

You can go back more years on Draw Summaries give you better idea how many tags leftover.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts