chronagrph/muzzleloader

winmag76

Is there any tricks to chronographing a muzzle loader. I was shooting this weekend and I was getting some very inconsistent readings. I tried it at 8', 10', and 15' from the muzzle and my velocities were from 700 fps to 2300 fps with 90-110gr pyrodex 250gr shockwave. I have no problem with center fire or bows. I'm kind of new with the chrony so any help would be appreciated.

If your bullet has a sabott or patch your not going to be able to fix the problemb. Also check to see if your powder cloud rolls thru it, or blocks the lighting.
If a belted bullet has no patch or sabbot, and the powder cloud isnt rolling thru, Then the only other thing I can think is that some kernals of ff (or pieces of a pyrodex pellet) arent burnt completely, and are following the bullet too closley to acquire an accurate reading.

I shoot a .490 Hornady roundball with a .015 pre-lubed patch. Im not up on the newer stuff, or how it burns, so Im just throwing suggestions out there.
Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts