Cheyenne

6.5Express

Might have a job opportunity in Cheyenne. Aside from the weather, what are some of the pros / cons of living near Cheyenne?

Thanks!

I have lived in WY for 25 years so I'm a little biased. Cons would include cold and wind. For some people Mid-West could be a con.
Lots of benefits in my opinion. Close enough to the Denver metro area for day trips. Got hunting and fishing through most of the state. May have to travel some, but its there. LOW taxes. WY has a large amount of mineral income so there is no state income tax and property taxes are low. State is in the black and has been putting aside [investing] money for several years for when mineral income decreases. Only one of 8 or 10 states that are in the black financially. Pays teachers top wages so the school systems are good. Low crime rates with minimal gang related activities. Open and concealed carry without permit. Friendly gun laws and attitudes about guns.
On this web site you nay be more interested in the hunting. You can kill up to 3 elk per year. I think its about 4 antelope and perhaps 4 or so deer. This depends on hunt units and most are doe/fawn. If you have other questions feel free to ask. Bruce

Con......Remember to always park into the wind or the 'Wyoming Breeze' will blow your door off when you open the door...

Pro....Some days the wind doesn't blow like that, it blows the other way, and a change is as good as a rest.

Pro... A good stiff breeze keeps the bugs down.

Con... A good stiff breeze means a white out in the winter.

Actually Wyo is a great place and contains some of the best the West has to offer, but it is windy.

Jack

Probably not nearly the humidity that you might be used to coming from Oregon.?

50-70 mph gusts with sustained winds of 15-40 mph are really not uncommon. Particularly around Cheyenne. One of the windiest areas in the state.

Calm or light wind days can be kinda rare in alot of the state, so we often have load testing ammo loaded and waiting for weeks or months in some cases before they get shot under ideal testing conditions.

Summers aren't usually overly hot and humid. Winters can be deadly with the wind chills and blizzards. Not alot of annual precipitation however, snow or rain either one (unless closer to the mountains). We can dress for the cold, but I hate hot and humid!........Oh, fire dangers run pretty high during most summers.

I've never found the area immediately around Cheyenne to be visually appealing, pretty flat (some rolling hills) and not much scenery as compared to other parts of Wyoming. Not alot of public land right around there either.

Tons of plusses for the outdoors type in Wyoming, so long as you can stand the wind and don't mind small town people and the small town/rural attitudes and beliefs/customs. I've never lived anywhere else and can't imagine wanting to live somewhere else.

I believe the weather, lack of green landscapes and trees is what mostly discourages people from wanting to live here. Most of our little lakes aren't surrounded by trees, but with sagebrush or maybe some pinion/juniper type brush. Wont find many trees at all in Eastern Wyoming, a few cottonwoods along the drainages. I like the fact you can see for miles and miles and miles though. A mountain 50 miles away is no problem on a clear day.

Personally; I like the open spaces, lack of trafic and people, even the big towns are small........we don't have any "cities". As stated above, most folks are pro gun and don't just "say" they support the 2nd ammendment. We fully support gun ownership rights, the right to carry openly and concealed and our God given right to defend ourselves, that's the lifestyle we live and love.

Worst part about Cheyenne is the weather.

The best part is you're more metro than any other part of Wy., a plus for the wife (if your married). Denver is anout an hour. Laramie an hour...UW.

Great hunting and fishing 1-2 hours. Grand Tetons and Yellowstone are a bit farther as are "real" mountains.

Moving from Eastern Oregon to Cheyenne won't be an adjustment like P-town to here. For example, I worked in Seattle and will not go back!

I appreciate your responses. We currently live in the high desert in south eastern oregon which means June is spring, July and August are summer, September and October are Fall and the rest of the year is winter - oh and the wind blows most of the time - I've learned to set up my shooting bench to shoot with the prevailing wind...The county that we live in now is the largest in the state with a population of around 7,000. The weather info that I pulled up shows Cheyenne to be slightly warmer in the winter and slightly cooler in the summer (on the average) than where we're at now. The adjustment would be to a larger town. We would want to live out of town a ways - and don't mind driving too far to hunt. Now, for good hunting I have to drive into Nevada and don't get to go every year. I'm thinking the hunting from cheyenne would be to the south west and west?

Thanks again for your responses!

I appreciate your responses. We currently live in the high desert in south eastern oregon which means June is spring, July and August are summer, September and October are Fall and the rest of the year is winter - oh and the wind blows most of the time - I've learned to set up my shooting bench to shoot with the prevailing wind...The county that we live in now is the largest in the state with a population of around 7,000. The weather info that I pulled up shows Cheyenne to be slightly warmer in the winter and slightly cooler in the summer (on the average) than where we're at now. The adjustment would be to a larger town. We would want to live out of town a ways - and don't mind driving too far to hunt. Now, for good hunting I have to drive into Nevada and don't get to go every year. I'm thinking the hunting from cheyenne would be to the south west and west?

Thanks again for your responses!

Sounds like it wont be a dramatic change from what you're already used to. That's good!

For Elk, west or southwest or northwest. Antelope around Cheyenne easy enough. Deer too, but best stuff for deer will probably be similar to where you'd have to go for elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.