Checking in with some bears

brentc

Well gents, the bear hunt came and went again. The bear hunt is my bread and butter especially on the Prince William Sound in Alaska. Both of these bears fell to well placed shots with my 7mm RM loaded with 180 VLDs and a stout charge of RL33 reaching upwards to 3140 fps. The brownie took one in the chest while standing at 200 yards and the blackie took a bradside shoulder shot and a spine shot while climbing up the coastal bank at around the same distance. The 180 penetrated to the vitals very well and absolutely mutilated the internals of both bears. No exit hole with either bear. For size, the brownie measured 8 feet nose to tail with a 24.5" skull, and the blackie came out at 7'1" with a 19.5" skull all skinned out.

so is the brown one a griz? maybe a dumb question but 8 feet is huge,it has a big ol hump and the world record black bear is 23 10/16 skull... either way very cool

so is the brown one a griz? maybe a dumb question but 8 feet is huge,it has a big ol hump and the world record black bear is 23 10/16 skull... either way very cool

Yup. Brown/Grizz. Technically a Brown Bear because of where we got him.

ok whew!! I was suffering from extreme jealousy.. well i still am but the way it was written i thought you were saying black bear and it really didnt look like it to me but I thought heck a world record black bear may look like a griz/ brown bear haha.. super awesome anyways. My dad went on a brown bear hunt last fall and came back with a 10 footer. I havent seen it yet but am looking forward to it... Love bear hunting

did you kill both or did you kill one and your buddy kill one?

ok whew!! I was suffering from extreme jealousy.. well i still am but the way it was written i thought you were saying black bear and it really didnt look like it to me but I thought heck a world record black bear may look like a griz/ brown bear haha.. super awesome anyways. My dad went on a brown bear hunt last fall and came back with a 10 footer. I havent seen it yet but am looking forward to it... Love bear hunting

did you kill both or did you kill one and your buddy kill one?

We actually killed both together. The Brownine belongs to my Brother in law, and the blackie is mine. For bears in that area two guns are better than one no matter the shot placement. Some just don't go down easily, they don't bleed much, and the soft spongy moss floor doesn't hold tracks well. Wounded bears are extremely difficult to find if they get into the thick cover up there. I've learned the hard way. So now, we have two shooters for every bear.

Looks like you had a good hunt. Looks like the brown bear was around Two Moon Bay. I fell timber there back in the early 90 s. Had a big bear that would hang out in my timber above where I was falling. . He had an 8" front pad. He never bothered me or my saw that I left overnight every day but he probably would have eaten my oil jug. He just kept moving up the mountain as I did. Some of the other fallers bumped into other bears and most of them got freaked by it. ( down south fallers) . . . Nice to see the units growing back real well.

When I hunt with other guys my rule is that both rifles are on the animal and if it decides to run its whoever's shot that has a shot.

Looks like you had a good hunt. Looks like the brown bear was around Two Moon Bay. I fell timber there back in the early 90 s. Had a big bear that would hang out in my timber above where I was falling. . He had an 8" front pad. He never bothered me or my saw that I left overnight every day but he probably would have eaten my oil jug. He just kept moving up the mountain as I did. Some of the other fallers bumped into other bears and most of them got freaked by it. ( down south fallers) . . . Nice to see the units growing back real well.

When I hunt with other guys my rule is that both rifles are on the animal and if it decides to run its whoever's shot that has a shot.

Good eyes. The picture was taken in Two Moon Bay. It's one of my favorite spots for pictures and skinning. We actually shot the bear around the other side of the mountain. At times, Two Moon gets too crowded because it's a good "half way" to the gulf for the fishing crowd.

I'm intrigued about the logging operation from back then. I often wonder what it must have been like before all the logging roads were overgrown. I've been all over those hillsides chasing bears.

We had very nice VIEWS . . Get all the timber cut out of the way and the vistas were spectacular at times :D
. I haven't been on The Sound in a long time. Even tho I live in Glennallen and the.last 2 summers I worked in Valdez . Can u get a permit to hunt there or is one needed?

We had very nice VIEWS . . Get all the timber cut out of the way and the vistas were spectacular at times :D
. I haven't been on The Sound in a long time. Even tho I live in Glennallen and the.last 2 summers I worked in Valdez . Can u get a permit to hunt there or is one needed?

It's public if you have the means to get there.

OK. I was thinking it was native land, but that's because we were cutting round log export length logs. . If I remember on the south side of that peninsula is Eyak Corp land. But I may be mistaken there too. Its been a while. Two Moon Bay area is about as close to Southeast Alaska as you can get ( ground, water ect) without actually being in the Panhandle.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.