Changing a 6.5CM to a 6.5-284

Huntz

I have several 6.5CM and would like to have a Tikka 6.5CM re chambered to a 6.5 -284.I already have magazines for WSMs that should work fine with this cartridge.I do not want to get a magnum bolt ,so thought this might work.It has the 24" barrel.Thoughts?

I think the Tikka is one length action, long, which runs a mag block for the short action cartridges so running a long shouldn't be a problem.
Yes ,that is true.The bolt stop is easily filed to what ever length you want the action to be.You can use WSM magazines or full length magazines as either will accept a magnum width cartridge.

I have several 6.5CM and would like to have a Tikka 6.5CM re chambered to a 6.5 -284.I already have magazines for WSMs that should work fine with this cartridge.I do not want to get a magnum bolt ,so thought this might work.It has the 24" barrel.Thoughts?
I think you will like it- it's a beautiful cartridge. Get some Lapua brass and you're set.

You will see a slight increase in performance and that will come with a slight reduction in barrel life but well worth it in my opinion. I don't have one anymore but when I did it really liked Lapua brass and Retumbo. You know, the easy to find stuff right now! 😁😁

This is the same direction that I'm going with a T3x Superlite, I already have a 6.5x284 but it's not a great packing rifle for longer distances. If the rechambered rifle will push the 140 class anywhere north of 2900 accurately, I'd be happy with that.

This is the same direction that I'm going with a T3x Superlite, I already have a 6.5x284 but it's not a great packing rifle for longer distances. If the rechambered rifle will push the 140 class anywhere north of 2900 accurately, I'd be happy with that.
Both retumbo and H1000 get me to ~3,000 with a 26" barrel as does reloder 26 but it spikes pressure around ~86F so I can't shoot it in summer.

Both retumbo and H1000 get me to ~3,000 with a 26" barrel as does reloder 26 but it spikes pressure around ~86F so I can't shoot it in summer.
I'm guessing a notoriously slow 24" tikka barrel is going to take a hundred feet off. I use RL23 in a Savage LRH at 2960 from a 24" barrel. Hopefully someday we'll walk into an uncrowded LGS and the shelves will be heavy with Retumbo, RL26, and H1000. Seems like a pipe dream.

I'm guessing a notoriously slow 24" tikka barrel is going to take a hundred feet off. I use RL23 in a Savage LRH at 2960 from a 24" barrel. Hopefully someday we'll walk into an uncrowded LGS and the shelves will be heavy with Retumbo, RL26, and H1000. Seems like a pipe dream.
I was wondering your source of Tikka barrels being notoriously slow?I have not found that to be true.

I have a 26" that runs 140's to 2960-70 with H4350 and Lapua brass.
My hunting 25" #3 profile hunting rifle runs very near the same speed.

image.jpg

I was wondering your source of Tikka barrels being notoriously slow?I have not found that to be true.
Mine is slow, but it also only has 70 rounds through it. My source would only be the numerous posts on the subject throughout the web. Same load, bullet, brass and primer out of my other 2 6.5cm's with 2" less barrel length are both faster.

I shoot both...6.5 Creedmoor should not hang with 6.5 284.
Somewhere between 48 & 49 grains of H4350 should get you close to 2950fps with 140's.
It's at or near the top. Watch for pressure signs.
But... It does shoot well without temperature sensitivity of other powders.
I shoot in 95+ summer heat and hunt at or near freezing temps without worry.