Chamber specs

Also, the OAL should be close to mag length.
How do you get close to mag length in a cartridge say 6.5x06AI at 3.43 with a 140 Berger seat at the neck shoulder junction in a Rem 700 LA that has 3.7 mag box.
Any of the 270 win - 30-06 family of cartridges will have the same scenario especially if you run factory ammo at saami 3.34 OAL

OK I won't worry about the throat depth. My rifles that do shoot really well have short throats and I can get the bullets to within .010" of the lands. My guns that don't shoot as well, including a 7mm Weatherby mag, have deep throats and I can't get the bullets very close to the lands.

BTW - I don't smoke and real engineers carry their slide rules in the pocket protectors in their shirt pocket!

thanks,
Dave Christensen

The only cartridges I use the cannelure as a guide for are my 35 Rem and 44 mag. Both are crimped and the cannelure was a good spot to start. This is 30-06 for a Kimber 84L Classic loaded to mag length. Couldn't tell you the jump off hand but it's still .75 MOA for a pencil barrel.
You might shudder at the jump on my 50yr old 270. Throat erosion is crazy but it balances well and I can snap shoot a 6" gong from any position out to 300 so it's one of my favorite guns. It also just has good mojo that bring out animals.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
How do you get close to mag length in a cartridge say 6.5x06AI at 3.43 with a 140 Berger seat at the neck shoulder junction in a Rem 700 LA that has 3.7 mag box.
Any of the 270 win - 30-06 family of cartridges will have the same scenario especially if you run factory ammo at saami 3.34 OAL
You are right. I should have said it should fit in the mag

I have an issue right now with a Savage 10T-SR in 6 CM. My CBTO chamber measures 2.2755 with 107gr Nosler Custom Competition HPBT bullets. I have a load that shoots really well .3MOA seated .020 from lans. That seats the bullets .1465 into the neck or actual surface contact of bullet to inside neck of case. These bullets have a long boat tail on them. If I were to seat the bullets to get bullet diameter (.243) into the neck I would be CBTO measurement 2.159. That's .1165 from the lans! Now, I don't believe that it is necessary to seat bullet to = diameter, but I am just over 50% of diameter seating depth. I have not tried seating the bullets this deep and shooting, does not seem that they would shoot well? OAL loaded rounds fit in the magazine and function. In my final process I am using Lee Factory Crip die. I plan on using these loads for coyotes and varmints.
Anyone else load these bullets or other that seat this shallow into the neck?

I have an issue right now with a Savage 10T-SR in 6 CM. My CBTO chamber measures 2.2755 with 107gr Nosler Custom Competition HPBT bullets. I have a load that shoots really well .3MOA seated .020 from lans. That seats the bullets .1465 into the neck or actual surface contact of bullet to inside neck of case. These bullets have a long boat tail on them. If I were to seat the bullets to get bullet diameter (.243) into the neck I would be CBTO measurement 2.159. That's .1165 from the lans! Now, I don't believe that it is necessary to seat bullet to = diameter, but I am just over 50% of diameter seating depth. I have not tried seating the bullets this deep and shooting, does not seem that they would shoot well? OAL loaded rounds fit in the magazine and function. In my final process I am using Lee Factory Crip die. I plan on using these loads for coyotes and varmints.
Anyone else load these bullets or other that seat this shallow into the neck?
ive had trouble loaded that far out, but others report success. All you can do is try. Also, people say you have to shoot out close to the lands, but I have a chamber where this isn't possible at all.....it still shoots quite well at certain oal's....that said, I think I'm 0.1" off the lands.

ive had trouble loaded that far out, but others report success. All you can do is try. Also, people say you have to shoot out close to the lands, but I have a chamber where this isn't possible at all.....it still shoots quite well at certain oal's....that said, I think I'm 0.1" off the lands.
I have checked the twist rate in this rifle and it is 1:7.5. This rifle should shoot the 110 and maybe 115 grain bullets? I have read some articles where shooters have seated half of bullet diameter to get closer to the lans. They are also shooting primarily off a bench. That is what I am doing at this point in load development.
I am going to start seating bullets into the case deeper at .010 increments and see where the journey takes me. I am going to have to reduce my charges back to staring as I seat bullets deeper. Didn't really want to do that, but if I can get seated a little deeper will make bullet more stable in the neck for hunting. I have these 107 at 3100 FPS without any signs of pressure. Seating deeper my pressure is going to increase.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.