Centre Punch and Others...

Waltech Jim

Centre Punch,

Thank you for asking about my rifle.

The gun in the photo is a custom CZ 527 in .223. I wanted a dedicated "truck" and walk about gun as I do quite a bit of Prairie Doggin' during the summer. It is commonly called a "drive by" gun in my circles but that, of course, is not politically correct.

The barrel was replaced with a SS 1 in 8 twist Krieger, as I am totally spoiled. It started out as a 1.25 OD blank and I contoured it on my gunsmiths' lathe. I replaced the original trigger spring with a lighter one that really improved it without using the set feature. (excuse me for a minute while I look for my Nomex underwear)

The stock is my own creation. My full time hobby and growing small business is building thumbhole stocks for a small but dedicated clientele. The stock is laminated using four pieces of wood and for this one I managed to find some striped wood that really set it off. The pistol grip and finger grooves are custom fit to each customers' hand using a proprietary method and so, no two stocks are identical. After getting close with my duplicator I do the final inletting of the action and barrel by hand. The action is also pillar bedded. Don't ask about the recoil pad. That was a total screw up on my part. I am so use to just automatically putting on recoil pads I cut the stock and put it on and later realized it is a .223 and would not have had to do that.

This little sweetheart totally exceeded my expectations. It rides nicely on the center console of the pick up, and finds its way around the inside without bashing out mirrors and windows. For coyote hunting or for a little "walk about" on the dog towns I screw on the bipod, attach the sling and take off. It does very well with all .223 bullets, but it shoots 40 gr. Sierra HPs to incredible accuracy. I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out.

Jim

253792.jpg

253793.jpg

Waltech,
I can see from the pix that the quality of your work is top notch, what a beautifull little rifle, you must be very proud, i'm sure i would be.I have always had great admiration for craftsmen in all fields and my ambition is to shoot a rifle that i built myself, which hopefully i will do in the future.

Centre Punch.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.