Cell Phone Booster

Chadp82

Wondering if anyone has experience with cell phone boosters in their trucks (or cars).

Just an idea I gave kicked around for heading to the hills.

Good/bad, or just forget about, they don't really work?

They work where there is service. So those places you get just enough service to make you think you can call but can't they will help. You won't drop calls when driving through those small dead spots. They don't create service where there isn't any. You also have to have the phone pretty much touching the booster. If it's a few ft away they don't work as well. I have one for work truck and it's nice and helps but I personally wouldn't buy one for myself.

I Have installed a few on boats. They are expensive kits but can extend cell range offshore by about six miles Plus or minus. Has about a 1ft tall antenna outside and a 10"plate that sends signal out. They also turn on and off as needed. The old ones that didn't auto off would get you a fine if left on at dock because they tie up all available signal from the towers crashing the network

I've used Cel-Fi in Australia

Where my phone barely got signal and could not make a steady connection it worked well. It's only as good as the aerial sending and receiving but also needs some signal to boost.

I got reception around a stationary vehicle.

Having been in the area a lot I covered a lot more ground with steady reception where I never did before.