sat phone

Dead Beat

maybe someone can help with this one the last elk hunt i thought i could use my cell phone well it didnt work were we were set up does anyone know of a place were i can rent a sattelite phone with minutes i can buy as i use the phone .same thing last fall the cell didnt work in nothern wisconsin were we were hunting this year ill be in wi. and co. all together for about a month so i was thinking of renting one any info would be appreciated

thanks JIM

Not sure if you can rent one and I doubt that you can buy time like with a pre paid deal , I got one after hurricane Katrina and have used it a few times and the price varied ALOT I was told that the ratse change constantly depending on who's satilite your using. I'm not even sure what phone and service we have , I just funded the thing and its kept at my parents new home thats the new evac. site. It was one of the more expensive phones and service plans but it was highly recomended by a very close friend that works for Triple Canopy security company and since hes been all over the world in some of the worst areas imaginable I took his word for it.

The yearly service is a couple hundred dollars and then your billed for the time its used which is almost never , so I think its a wise investment , kinda like insurance , hope like hell you never need it but glad its their when you do.

thanks for the info i did find a few for rent anyware from $ 20 to $ 40 a month and some minutes the cheapest was $75 for 75 minutes ill do some more checking around and see what i can shake up

JIM

super mag thats the one that i googled up thanks for the info my wife just feels more comfortable if we had one and if lets me hunt that makes me feel good . wisconsin and colorado in a month sounds good to me

JIM

My brother owns one and is on Iridium and it works fine. There is a fairly long delay between when you talk and when they hear it but it's not really a big deal. When he was in Africa and called me, we found out that trees overhead will cause some signal problems, and you absolutely can't call from inside a building. The only other problem was that he never seemed to pay attention to the time difference (8 hours) and I would get calls late at night when he got done hunting for the day.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.