Carbon/Titanium Ultra Mag Build!!

spdrman

Last few years I've owned several great rifles but was never completely happy with them so this year I decided to finally bite the bullet and build EXACTLY what I've always wanted!

I honestly don't rifle hunt much but when I do I'm nowhere near any roads and dont want to pack more than I need to, I know heavier rifles are easy to shoot but packing it around for a week to maybe shoot once if at all the lighter gun will be nicer.

Goal with this rifle was to be as light as possible, wanted the bare rifle to be 6lb or less minus scope and bipod. I also really like the ballistics of the 300 RUM so chose that as my caliber.

Here's the specs of my rifle

Pierce Titanium action with lightened bolt option
Pierce titanium recoil Lug
McMillan Game Scout Edge Fill
PROOF Carbon Barrel Light sendero contour
Jewel Trigger
WPR Titanium Muzzlebrake

I wanted a rifle on the light side too. Went a more conventional way. Remington 700 trued action, bartlin #3 contour barrel and McMillian edge stock. Of course I don't use a bipod.

With scope and ready to go 8# 12oz

Attachments

• 20150928_065919_resized.jpg
    20150928_065919_resized.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 137
Recoil surprisingly isn't bad, its less than my 260. Still working loads for it, just shot my ladder test on Friday

Here's a 6 shot group with 230's (know I pulled one so shot 3 more)

Here's my leftover 215's after my ladder test

Thats a sweet looking rifle! I bet that titanium muzzle brake with the ports on top really help tame the jump. How do you like your McMillan Game Scout?

I built a similar but more conventional rifle around a 338 RUM. Borden Action and Hart Barrel with a 4-port brake. Also used a McMillan Game Scout. I love how functional that stock is. My rifle finished out at 9lbs 7oz, but that's without a bipod.

Seems like there might be more guys who are building lighter long range rifles now.

Awesome rifle! Who did the build? Western Precision Rifles?

Matt Whaley, he owns Whaley Precision Rifles out of Northern Idaho

Thats a sweet looking rifle! I bet that titanium muzzle brake with the ports on top really help tame the jump. How do you like your McMillan Game Scout?

I built a similar but more conventional rifle around a 338 RUM. Borden Action and Hart Barrel with a 4-port brake. Also used a McMillan Game Scout. I love how functional that stock is. My rifle finished out at 9lbs 7oz, but that's without a bipod.

Seems like there might be more guys who are building lighter long range rifles now.

Only complaint with the stock is I wish it had a higher cheek piece, with the 20 moa rail on there I'm needing a stock pack or kydex piece on there, plan on swapping the scope out to something with a 30mm tube and talleys next year which should work without the need of a cheek piece

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.