Cannot get barrel clean!!!

RemingtonMagnum

I have a Magnum Research carbon fiber lined barrel chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. Just been trying to break in the barrel and I cannot get the copper fouling out! I've used BoreTech Copper remover, Hoppes Copper solvent and even tried some JB Bore paste. I don't have a barrel camera so cant see what the middle of the barrel looks like but at the very end of the muzzle I can still see copper color in the rifling. When I clean with solvents, I run a wet patch through followed by 10-15 passes with a ProShot Bronze brush. Then run 2 dry patches. And repeat until the brush has made a total of about 300 passes! Still cant get that copper color to go away! I've tried the JB Bore paste 2 or 3 times and followed the instructions on the container every time. Don't know what to do any help or advise is greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

And the ammo I am using to break in is just some reloads I threw together for it they are 160gr nosler.

The bronze brush contains copper so you may be picking up the copper that comes from the brush. Boretech copper remover will remove the copper if you use only patches and a nylon brush with a stainless steel shaft.

So it could be clean just colored from the brush? How do I tell when its all the way clean then? Just by the color on the patches im guessing?

Try Remington 40× bore cleaner. It has a gritty feel. I don't use it often just when someone's gun is so dirty that gunslick bore foam doesn't work.
(I say "someone's" because I don't let mine get that fouled.) LOL.

Off topic, but how does that MR barrel shoot so far? Not a whole lot of info on them.

Off topic, but how does that MR barrel shoot so far? Not a whole lot of info on them.

It shot a 1" group at about 150yrds somewhere within the first 10 shots. Havent grouped it again since I took the scope off. Only shot it 16 times so far. And that was with a load I just threw together didn't mess with load at all.

As they have said its the bronze brushes but with all that scrubbing and JB bore paste I think you will find your barrel is broken in LOL Just a FYI I have run some decent tests using solid copper bullets and just about every major copper remover out there I could get my hands on ( I am sure I missed a few though) back a number of years ago and the one that hands down beat all others tested by a good margin was KG-1 Big Bore Copper Remover. I actually got the idea from a advertisement and figured that was a decent way to test them. It has no ammonia and does NOT stink to high heaven so you do not end up getting yelled at by the Mrs if you do that stuff in the living areas. Also will not hurt the bore if left in over night either if you were having to deal with a neglected barrel.

The way I tested them was took a set of solid barns tsx and also did it with some left over GS custom HV bullets. Weighed each of them on a lab scale. Filled glass tubes with each cleaner and dropped a bullet in each one and started the clock. Pulled them 1 hr, 3 hr, 6 hr, 12 hr, and 24 hr. Lightly cleaned and dried each one and weighed it. I also took pic but I would have to dig them up. Some of the "copper" removers did not do anything. The **** bullets look new even after 24hr. But of all of them the KG-1's looked like a firelapping bullet i.e. rough, pitted, and discolored. It had lost the most weight by a good margin. Almost 200% then the next closest one IIRC.

But do not take my word for it. Its a easy test. Although based on cost I would not recommend using the GS custom CNC lath turned bullets. That was a bone head move on my part lightbulbLOL.

When you run wet patches through or brush you need to let it set 10 to 15 minutes between to let the chemical work. I never brush a barrel much because the bristles and rod going in and out the muzzle is hard on the crown. I run a wet patch and let it soak. Then another wet patch and soak. I will do this till I see no black and start to see a lot of dark blue on patch. Then I will brush about 10 strokes with a lot of copper cleaner on brush. Let sit and dry. After you dry the barrel. If you take a Q-TIP and stick it in the muzzle end it will light up the bore and let you see the barrel better. You have to have good light and sunlight works the best. If you see copper start with wet patches again. I have match barrels that I hardly ever have to brush. Matt

Wipe-Out Foam.

Fill the bore with foam, let it sit overnight. Fill it again in the morning, let it sit a couple more hours. Patch it out, done.

-nosualc

+1 for Wipe Out, less wear on the lands and crown. +1 on the bronze brush comments, nylon only. Not mentioned is a good bore guide ( Lucas bore guide) to protect that barrel, a tool often missing in many cleaning boxes.

Just a FYI I have run some decent tests using solid copper bullets and just about every major copper remover out there I could get my hands on ( I am sure I missed a few though) back a number of years ago and the one that hands down beat all others tested by a good margin was KG-1 Big Bore Copper Remover.

But of all of them the KG-1's looked like a firelapping bullet i.e. rough, pitted, and discolored. It had lost the most weight by a good margin. Almost 200% then the next closest one IIRC.

Tim, I think you meant KG 12 Big Bore Cleaner, which is the company's copper remover. KG 1 is their Carbon Remover product. I've used them both, and agree they are good products. The reason I prefer Bore Tech Eliminator and Bore Tech Cu+2 Copper Remover is because they are equally effective copper removers, and it's much easier to tell if there's still copper in the bore because the Bore Tech products turn the cleaning patches blue if copper still present in the bore.

KG 12 is yellow, and copper stains the cleaning patches an slightly different shade of yellow, making it difficult to determine when all copper has been removed from the bore.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.