Canadians where do you get your barrels?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by nathank, Apr 1, 2009.

1. nathank

nathank Well-Known Member

trying to build up a riffle and i cant find a us manufacturer that ships to canada or a canadian barrel manufacturer . so what do you other canadians do for barrels.

2. Cruizin

Cruizin Well-Known Member

Order a barrel and have it shipped to me here in Utah. I'll turn around and ship it to you in Canada. It's just a piece of metal right?

3. Magnumpeanut

Magnumpeanut Well-Known Member

Get on Canadiangunnutz' forum. Look for Mysticplayer. He imports barrels and everything else you need. He is on this forum from time to time too.

Pacnor also imports to Canada if you wanna avoid the middle man.

4. Slopeshunter

Slopeshunter Well-Known Member

They're often shipped as "stainless pipe". :D

Ted Gaillard in Sask is a barrel maker. I've got one of his barrels on my 280AI. I don't have his contact info handy, but a quick search on CanadianGunnutz would probably find it for you.

5. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

This is 'long ranger' on this site and he's a CA dealer for Rock Creek barrels per discussions with him. Might give him a call.

6. nathank

thanks for the contacts guys

7. Albertavarminter

Albertavarminter Member

Ron Smith out of Wimborne AB will make you whatever you want, I have three of his gain twist barrels - 223, 243AI & 7mmRM. All are tack drivers in the 1/4 to 1/2 MOA range.

Ron's Tel: 403-631-2405

8. BHP9

BHP9 Well-Known Member

You would be breaking US laws. Barrels are controlled and require an export permit from BATFE plus an import certificate from DFAIT.

You have Rob MacClellan in Wyevale, Ontario, Ted Gaillard in Saskatchewan, Rob Smith in BC. These are barrel makers.

You have ATR, et al importing barrels.

9. eric2381

eric2381 Well-Known Member

I have a Ron Smith barrel as well. It's a high quality barrel.

10. YOTEBOY

YOTEBOY Member

Get a Gaillard, you will not be disappointed.

11. nathank

Do any of these guys have websites?

12. BHP9

BHP9 Well-Known Member

AFAIK this is the only web site.

Gaillard

13. jayph

jayph Member

riflebarrels.ca

Ian is great he is Canada's source for krieger and he also has mcphee .30 cal barrels.

I have my second one on it's way to me know.

14. dave42

dave42 Member

Make sure you look at the price difference between all the suggestions.

Properly importing an American made barrel means dealing with a middle man in Canada which means he gets his cut. This may have been alright when the exchange rates were good but with current rates the U.S. barrels are in some cases double the cost of a Canadian made barrel.

I use both U.S. and Canadian made barrels and in my opinion both are excellent. The only issue I've ever had with a custom barrel happened to be a U.S. made one but other barrels from the same maker have been excellent.

Right now, with the current exchange rates and the U.S. export laws your money would be better spent on a Canadian barrel unless you really want a better know U.S. name. However be prepared to pay up to double to get it properly imported.

Be warned though, I've heard dealing with some of the Canadian guys can be interesting to say the least. Remember that most of them do not do a huge volume of sales and are one man operations. I suggest you do your homework and know exactly what you want before calling. If you do that the process should go smoothly. I have had excellent dealings with several of them and highly recommend their barrels, just don't expect them to roll out the red carpet and answer a ton of newbie questions.

Good luck and remember, spending your money wisely on a rifle means more $ for ammo. What good is an expencive rifle if you can't afford to shoot it.

Dave