Can you all stand yet another VS WWTB optics thread?

I'd have to say I fall short of deserving the term "fawning" as I Openly admit both my Bushnell 4200's (I own 4) and my WGS's (I own 4 also) all have been subjected to the same recoil abuse and hard use as my Leupolds and have held up perfectly and bolth the 4200 and WGS track more accurately and consistently than my Leupolds VariX-II's and VariX-III's and the glass IMHO is better and the diopter is easier to set on the 4200 and WGS

The accuracy of dialing on the leupolds seems to be why people here don't like them. They seem dial consistently, but not accurately ( for example 10moa of dialing actually moves the poi 11moa)

I have no personal experience with it though. All of my Leopold have been straight 4 powers on dangerous game type rifles so they dont have turrets

I own both of those scopes - I prefer the leupold for the features - the CDS is a extremely reliable system out to 500 - quick and easy!

No problems here in the tracking department with leupold - they have held up great.

Glass is right there neck and neck between the two - I find the zero set turret along with capped windage to be much nicer features over zeiss for a hunting application - if just target shooting zeiss fits the bill nicely.

Last edited:
I have 3 VX6 3-18's. They will hold zero but they will not track worth a crap.
I have 3 VX5 3-15 and they are good scopes but I don't try dialing them after my experience with the 3-18's.
I run Swarovski Z5 or Z6 on all of my serious hunting guns. They are always reliable tracking.

New scope choices are difficult I have been looking for one for a spell now .I would go put hands on what ever choices have been decided on an then make a decision I have an the one I thought was at the top of my list fell short imho you may want to look at the night force shv line they are in same price range and I really like the moar cross hair

The yardage markings on the parallax adjustment is a silly thing to be concerned with. Odds are, you should be dialing it until parallax is removed, not to a yardage marking.

Leupolds don't tend to return to zero and there is a definite error in their elevation adjustment. Seems to be about 5-10% per MOA dialed. That makes long range precision laughable.

Zeiss has better glass and it will track. Get the Zeiss.

In the price range you arent going to beat the VX5-HD. The CDS is by far my favorite system for rifles I only run one load through. I will occasionally verify a hold vs the CDS with my ballistic calculator but its nice in hunting situation to not have to manage multiple devices, just range and shoot.

I have one mounted on a 6.5 Grendel AR and on my recently completed 6mm bolt action. The only concern I had was one time I left the 6mm against the tailgate of the truck and it slid off and fell sideways into the dirt. that fall knocked POI about 6" to the right. After checking for visual damage and re-torqueing the mount I took it out, re-zeroed the rifle and then shot a box test (10MOA up, then 10MOA over and then down and back original POA. All adjustments except for the first 10MOA left were within <.25" of expected value and return to zero was nearly stacked on top of the first shot. This past weekend I got a chance to shoot it at 300 and 500yds and elevation and return to zero was spot on for both. Leads me to think the drop tweaked something in the mount, but the scope is fine.

Zeiss never a tracking issue. Best in class glass. Tough to compete with Zeiss quality.
And the new V4 is available with a exposed and locking windage turret.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.