Calipers

astring

I know this may seem odd, but do any of you know where I could find and buy a nice set of Vernier calipers. I just do not see any advantage to using digital and to get a nice set of dial calipers its going to cost a lot of $$. Any insight to where I could find a good pair would be helpful. Thanks

I've heard some of the cheaper ones do not last and do not hold zero very well. I did find a set of Brown and Sharpe for $105. I would prefer vernier since they will not require to be re-calibrated and will last a lifetime.

True, I always check the zero and clean the measuring surfaces before every use, None of mine have ever been off much. I think its me just looking at them wrong, and its always splitting hairs as to what is perfectly zero.

Now I can say this. I have noticed that on some of the cheap ones the sharp tips may not be perfect, I only use that part for measuring bullet crimp and all i am looking at is a difference so it does not matter. I use the Flat parts to measure everything.

so is digital calipers not accurate enough? or is this just personal preference? just curious

Must be personal preference....I have 3 ...2 of one style and 1 of another...neither is better or whatever than the others

Midway USA for 2 of them and Brownells for the 3rd

My dad has a dial caliper that is older than me. Really nice and it has an adjustbale zero, so you will never lose zero, and you can check case uniformity with it also.

I know this may seem odd, but do any of you know where I could find and buy a nice set of Vernier calipers. I just do not see any advantage to using digital and to get a nice set of dial calipers its going to cost a lot of $$. Any insight to where I could find a good pair would be helpful. Thanks

These are pretty nice :)

Product Detail

Personal preference, I figure they would last me my lifetime and being in college I figure I might as well do things right once and save money in the long run.

I ended up buying a set a vernier calipers from SidecarFlip, Thanks by the way.

I will have to compare them to my dad's new dial ones he just picked up.

Thanks guys for all help and links.

We use calipers at work everyday and the company provides our calipers for everyone's use. That being said I have been fond of the Brown and Sharpe dial calipers. They are well built and the tips for ID dimensions are sharpe so you can get in smaller holes to measure ID diameters. You have to be careful and not break the sharpe tips off. But I think they are well worth the money and if you know how to read calipers well i'd go with the dials, no batteries, no fuss, just straight forward mechanics and old school ways, lol. After using the Brown and Sharpes when you pick up a set of cheaper calipers you will feel the difference.

I bought a set from Grizzly.com a few years ago to use in my woodworking shop. I dug them out the other day to look them over. They measure to .001 inch. Just wondering how accurate do they need to be and how can you check them for accuracy. I checked some of my factory rounds against my handlaoding manuals and they do not come out exactly as to what the manual says using this dial caliper. I believe this is the set I bought to use with my table saw. H3022 Magnetic Base, Dial Indicator, Caliper Combo pk.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.