caliber selection

Allyn

I'm looking to get a savage 11/111 lrh but can not deside on a caliber 300 wm 300 wsm or 7mm rem mag. Will be mainly shooting deer,antolope, elk up to 800 yards and would like to shoot steel at 1000

All are good choices. Each has strengths and weaknesses.

7mm less recoil for great and adequate performance for your needs. Less barrel life, less efficient.

300 WSM, WM more recoil but more downrange energy potential. Better barrel life, more efficient.

Pick your poison. They're all good for what you're trying to do. If you ever decide to add another couple hundred yards to the elk equation, you might think about the larger of the three.

I have no experience with the new short mags but have some with the 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag. All your caliber choices are good so it is subjective from here, I agree with Michael E. on that.

7 mm is an easy shooting caliber. The recoil is very acceptable. Every one I have shot (3) have been very accurate. Excellent bullet selection so no compromise here. Trajectory is quite good also. It does not deliver as high of energy down range. 7 mm Rem Mag has been the choice for many of my friends and they shoot it VERY well. That counts a lot.

300 Win Mag is a favorite of mine so this is skewed for that reason. The recoil is noticeably more than the 7mm but is still manageable. The 308 caliber has the best selection of bullets hands down, no contest. It will deliver more energy down range than the other two. Cases are available from everybody. 300 Win Mag has been used longer for 1000 yard matches than anything except 30/06 and 308. 300 Win Mag is my recommendation to people starting out for a one gun solution if I think they can manage the recoil.

But really any of those three will do nicely.

KB

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Another vote for the .300 Win Mag. Install an effective muzzle brake and recoil/muzzle jump won't be an issue.

Load them with Berger .210, .215, or .230 and you have yourself a lethal combination on elk size game beyond 1000 yards.

Good luck!

Go with a .300 Win Mag, better down range performance, and has a much wider selection of bullets for it. It has more recoil but its one of the trade offs for a round capable of taking elk at 800yds.

Either the 300 win mag or the 7mm rem mag would suit you well. I personally would lean toward the 7mm rm just from my experience with the cartridge. I havent really seen much or had much interest in the 300 WM (not that its a bad cartridge because it is a great round). Im just not very fond of recoil.

+ 1 on the 300 win mag. Factory ammunition will have a wider selection and lower cost. Also the 300 win mag will give you slightly better velocities.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.