Bustin' Rocks

royinidaho

Bustin\' Rocks

Took the kid (he's about half my age so that makes him a kid) to the range yesterday to get him some trigger experience. Was fun.

Rifle is a Lilja bbl'd 270 win on a Brazilian 1908 Mauser w/a 10X SS scope. Shooting was w/bipod and rear beanie bag of my own design.

Objective was to get him some trigger time and to validate the drop chart.

Lesson learned: Don't rest the bipod on cement slab. Hits were a mil off and random. As soon as I noticed that the bipod was on the cement pad it took a bit of convincing to move it up onto the dirt. Finally I won the argument. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Lesson learned: When you get up an move around then reset up you had best remember what "the" shooting position "feels" like. He says "why is the rifle jumping different". I grin... Practice Practice Practice till you can make the shot from any position......

When bipod was on the dirt the drop chart was spot on.

Shot at meters 200/300/400/500.

Used two clicks for the wind and hold-overs per the drop chart.

Was impressed w/how that 140 Hornady was busting head sized lava rocks. Not like the 338 but still impressive.

Another session at the range then we head to the Blackfoot river canyon where the ranges are alonger, rocks easy to spot and wind becomes more of a challenge.

Was a good afternoon.

Re: Bustin\' Rocks

Something that I noticed while shooting off of a concrete bench using a Harris bi-pod <-> If you put 3-4 sheets of paper under the bi-pod feet the groups shrank. The gun recoils more like it was shot off a front sand bag, easily sliding rearward. Otherwise, rubber feet drag and bounce when the hammer is dropped.

Bi-pods and heavy recoiling rifles just don't seem to work well when shot off of concrete.

That is why I never use a benchrest, or bi-pod. I do all of my shooting prone, with my left hand gripping the forarm, and supported by something (pack, or mini rifle rest). Left hand is also pulling the stock back into my shoulder. This position simulates the one target shooters use with a sling, but is easier to use in the field (and with field rifles & slings).

Roy in Idaho,
I did the same, yesterday I took my 15 years old son to bust rocks, he's been shooting my Remington SSL 300 RUM since he was 14, no muzzle break and he loves it! We had two bowling pins at 325 yards and 355 yards which he dropped each with a single shot, looked at me from the ground still holding the rifle and said: "Dad, those 210 gr. Bergers do kick good…" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif He hit a 8"x10" rock at 687 yards from the bipod, low and to the right, still on the rock, about 10 m/h wind and this time he did not use his shoulder pad, I got all over him telling him it was easy to develop a flinch doing that, he said " dad I'm getting good at leveling the gun, before I'd be on target and when looking at the level it'd be way off, but know is almost dead on!" You know… I forgot about the shoulder pad. We had a good time.
Thanks for sharing!

Varmint Hunter,
I like your comments, make sense to me. Thanks!

Roy:

I've had my license and tags for Idaho since the first part of the year but I can't find any reference in the hunting regs about rocks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Is there any minimum size limits and/or bag limits on Idaho rocks and are the "Blackfoot Canyon" rocks a different sub-species??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I'll be over there at the end of summer doing some scouting and thought about busting some of those famous Idaho rocks but don't want to get in any trouble. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I know what you mean though about bipods reacting to hard surfaces. I keep a small, soft, fuzzy blanket in the truck at all times and use it on surfaces that might cause problems. Also, try a frisbee under your bipod's feet when shooting off of hard surfaces or surfaces that might not let the bipod react "normally".

Sounds like "the kid" is getting the hang of it and should be ready for hunting season.

You would also be suprised how much better a timber/laminate bench is to shoot off than cement and dirt.

What a coincidence! I took my 14 year old son out Saturday to shoot at 1025 yards - his first time at long range. We took turns spotting for each other. The look on his face the first time he shot (he landed within a couple feet of it) was priceless! After that we shot at a 445 yard rock which was a piece of cake after the 1025 yarder! -- Don

Always nice to shoot some rocks every now and then. Where I live we have them all over the place. Where I go bear/coyote hunting there all over as well. The rocks around here get beat up pretty good by me out to 800 yards. I"ll always have my dad spot for me or a buddy. Lay down, flip the bi pod down, and shoot! No better way to practice. Learn to dope the wind is the hardest part, once you can nail rocks pretty much dead center, you know you can cleanly harvest a deer at that range under that same condition. Of course practice and more practice at long range counts and nothing is a substitute for practice.

Thanks Rem. We both knew the wind was the hardest to dope. Just a light breeze was drifting his 140gr AB's over. My 225 AB's bucked the wind quite well - I tried to tell him it was my experience but he knew better! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif -- Don

Good times, good memories... awesome! Remington 25-06 is right on, I'm always thinking... if it was a deer the boy would have taken it or would have had missed, or some thinking of that nature. Like he said:
[ QUOTE ]
Of course practice and more practice at long range counts and nothing is a substitute for practice.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you all for sharing, I just enjoy reading about those simple but fun filled events.
Good Shooting!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.