Burro mountain rifle hunt for Couse deer

wildcat westerner

Hello,
Last year the members of this forum were exceedingly helpful to me in my Oryx hunt on WSMB. This year I have drawn a rifle hunt during the rut in the Burro mountains for Couse deer. I have already taken whitetail, Mule and Blacktail deer, but have yet to see a single Couse deer in my lifetime.
Any insights gained about these deer and the Burro mountains would be appreciated.

Hi, I don't know where the WSMB is, but I've hunted coues deer on public land for years in AZ, being fairly successful. The biggest difference with coues over other deer family game may be their size and color, and their ability to blend in to their surroundings. The most successful manner in public land coues hunting is to get away from roads and glass for hours. I've found decent bucks laying under trees that I had glassed over maybe 10 times in a few hours. So get 15-18x binocs, a good tripod, and learn more patience than you've probably ever used in hunting.

You drew a December tag? It's more of a pre-rut hunt but still very good. They don't really start rutting good until January. The burro mountains is a very good area. Coues deer are very small and don't stay out in the open for very long at all. Get up on high spots and glass, glass and then glass some more. It will be cold in the mornings and the deer will be up and moving to collect some of that warm sunlight when it comes up. Patience is the main thing. You can glass an area 5 times over and then glass it again and there will be a deer there.

Recent Posts