Bullets for 223

Lpart

I have a 223 which I want to use to do most of my practice shooting. It is built on a Rem 700 SA and currently has the factory barrel with a 1 in 12 twist. I would like to shoot the heavier bullets at longer ranges so I am about to rebarrel with a new 1 in 8 twist. Fond of the Berger bullets and am a little confused with the differences between the 70 gr VLD, 73 gr BT and 75 gr VLD. Could someone please educate me on the differences and explain what and why their preference might be. Some suggested loads would also be helpful.

Thank you.

What are you trying to do? Only use it to stretch your legs, or to hunt varmints? Target only and with a 1 in 8, you should consider using the 80, or 82. I personally run the 77 OTM Tactical out past 800 yards. But the 80 will perform better for you, and run just fine in your 1 in 8 twist barrel.

I would also try Hornaday Amax's 75 and 80 grain bullets, if your not too hung up on the Berger's.

80 Grain will work just fine for you, and will work with your barrel.

Hey Doc, I'm gonna start reloading for my wife's Windham 5.56 AR. I am getting conflicting info on the heaviest bullet to use for a 1:9 twist. I'm looking at loads for med sized game out to 500m possibly a soft point, home defense, and practice. Also any recommendations on for a versatile powder?

Thanks, DocB

I have a 223 which I want to use to do most of my practice shooting. It is built on a Rem 700 SA and currently has the factory barrel with a 1 in 12 twist. I would like to shoot the heavier bullets at longer ranges so I am about to rebarrel with a new 1 in 8 twist. Fond of the Berger bullets and am a little confused with the differences between the 70 gr VLD, 73 gr BT and 75 gr VLD. Could someone please educate me on the differences and explain what and why their preference might be. Some suggested loads would also be helpful.

Thank you.

Those are all good bullets. Generally, the VLD's have a higher BC and perform better at long range. But they can be finnicky. My Savage LRPV 7 twist likes the Berger 77 grain OTM Tactical. IMO, Varget and RL15 are the best powders for heavy bullets. Start either around 22.5 grs and work up .5 grains at a time. The Sierra 77 gr. is also a good fast twist bullet, and much cheaper.

Hey Doc, I'm gonna start reloading for my wife's Windham 5.56 AR. I am getting conflicting info on the heaviest bullet to use for a 1:9 twist. I'm looking at loads for med sized game out to 500m possibly a soft point, home defense, and practice. Also any recommendations on for a versatile powder?

Thanks, DocB

I would suggest, for medium sized game like White Tail, you switch to an AR in 260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmoor. Then use the 556 for Varmint hunting. Depending on the range she is varmint hunting, you could go with light flat bullets that run almost zero elevation out to 300 like the 40 grain, or you could go for a higher BC for those 500 yard shots. That weapon would run the 73 grain just fine.

You could run a 260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmoor out of an AR and kill just about everything in North America. With a good Brake or even better a silencer it would have very negligible recoil, but awesome performance. In fact we now have the 130 AR Hybrid which would serve this purpose really well, and designed for this very purpose.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.