Bullet Sizing-Lube Choice

HOGGHEAD

If you were going to cast a bullet for a new modern inline rifle............
When you size your bullets for a cartridge rifle you should size it .001 to .002 over. What size do you guys think you should size your MZ bullet?? Over .002, or under .002 for a slip fit?? Looking for opinions.
Also which lube would you consider best for MZ bullets?? And how do you prefer applying the lube?? Tom..

A lot depends on your bullet design. Muzzleloader bullets are normally cast from pure lead to allow the bullet to be undersized enough to load, but soft enough to obturate when the rifle is fired. Some shooters prefer hollowbase bullets (Minies) which, as the name implies are hollow at the base to allow the gas from the powder to expand the base of the bullet to engage the rifling. Muzzleloader balls are used with fabric patches, soaked in melted bullet lube which act as a sabot of sorts, gripping the bullet tightly while engaging the rifling. There are many different muzzleloader bullet lubes, some guys just make their own from Crisco, beeswax & cooking oil. TC also offers a commercial lube that seems to work, but smells kinda funny.

i have tried a lot of lubes and the bore butter form TC is my favorite and it doesnt smell as bad as ou would think but i used bacon grease at a mountain man rondezvous and it was serprizingly easy to load and easy to clean as long as it was hot lube isn't as important as bullet sive i habe a lyman mold that is .002 larger for my .54 and they might be tight to get started but they build more pressure and grab the riffleings better going in and ever with a loose pack stay in place but for long range ML i have gravetated away from ball rounds and like the BC of the minnie mag lead bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts