colorado- bullet choice

ronnie1972

i am going to colorado this year on a muledeer muzzleloader hunt. this will be my first hunt with a muzzleloader i a purchased a tc triumph. now i have noticed in colorado that u can not use sabots, or pyrodex pellets
looking for some help with this- what bullet and powder combination, or any suggested loads to start with that has worked for u

i am going to colorado this year on a muledeer muzzleloader hunt. this will be my first hunt with a muzzleloader i a purchased a tc triumph. now i have noticed in colorado that u can not use sabots, or pyrodex pellets
looking for some help with this- what bullet and powder combination, or any suggested loads to start with that has worked for u

Thor Bullets without a doubt, IF your TC will shoot conicals.

100_9377.jpg

Heres some ordering info that you will need to know about:

Interested in trying out the Thor bullet? Simply email or call Thor bullets and Request a Free Sizing sample.

This Sample comes with the following bullet sizes - .500" - .501" - .502" & .503" Diameter bullet. It is important that you start with the smallest Diameter Thor bullet & work your way up in Diameter size until you find the proper fitting Thor Bullet. This sample is free of charge.

All it takes is a Phone call or an Email. Email preferred!

Phone: (660) 244-5251
Email: [email protected]

I have a TC as well. I didnt know that CO doesnt allow pellets or sabots. Those Thor bullets look nice and I really like that they will give you a sizing sample. The no pellets would be a problem for my TC mine hates loose powder I had a heck of a time trying to find a load that would work...

Good Luck on your mule deer hunt.

FrontierGander.

Like Ronnie, I drew a CO ML tag. I'm trying to work up a load with the .501" 300 gr. Thors. Have been using 100, 113, and 120 gr. by weight Black Mag. Not getting good groups in my Knight .......3+".(It groups 1-1/2" with 285 gr. Barnes and Harvester sabots with 110 grains T7 FFFg) What is your load with Blackhorn? Are you shooting the 300 gr. Thor? Did you find other primers didn't group as well?

Thanks,

Tom:)

FrontierGander.

Like Ronnie, I drew a CO ML tag. I'm trying to work up a load with the .501" 300 gr. Thors. Have been using 100, 113, and 120 gr. by weight Black Mag. Not getting good groups in my Knight .......3+".(It groups 1-1/2" with 285 gr. Barnes and Harvester sabots with 110 grains T7 FFFg) What is your load with Blackhorn? Are you shooting the 300 gr. Thor? Did you find other primers didn't group as well?

Thanks,

Tom:)

Drew a unit 84 mule deer buck tag myself this year!

I've never shot Black mag but have read about it in the past and it seems some had issues with it sucking up moisture.

With the 250 and 300gr Thor's in my CVA Optima i am shooting 100gr Volume Blackhorn209 and CCI 209 Magnum primers. These CCI Mags offer me the best accuracy so far. NSI primers " italian medium heat brand" offered horrible accuracy.

3" if thats with open sights is pretty good.

I did notice you said 100 - 113- 120 Weight Black mag. Is that right? Because if it is, thats going to be a big time over load, especially the 120gr Weight charge.

Using pyrodex and blackhorn209 for example, 120 grains Blackhorn209 by weight is 85.2 grains and 120gr pyrodex rs is 82.6 grains.

I just wanted to make sure you werent actually using 120gr weight black mag as that could get ugly.

My Optima at 100 yards with the 300gr Ballistic Tip Thor and 100gr Blackhorn209.
000_1961.jpg

250gr Thor with 100gr Blackhorn209. The black dot im holding next to it is for sizing. Its a 1" repair sticky.
000_0891.jpg

FrontierGander,

Kudos on the tag draw. Good luck on your hunt.

I plan to go on the LR mule deer hunt that Len Bachus set up with Mule Creek Outfitters in WY Region H. Supposed to be a sure thing to draw with 4 pts.

Unfortunately all the groups I mentioned are with the scope. I have the peep ready to install, but thought I'd do all my load development with the scope to take out the additional variability attributable to open sights.

I bought 6- 10 oz bottles of Black Mag XP in 12/09 to get a volume discount, but also bought one bottle of Blackhorn 209. In the only range work I've done with the BM, I got a lot of velocity variation. Did a test weighing ten samples 100 gr by volume and found about 4% variabilty in the weight.

From memory, (can't get to my spreadsheet now that I've started this post) 100 grains by voulme equaled 113 by weight. Might better check this again.

Plan to get some of the Magnum CCI's. Part of the read on BH is that it needs a hot primer..............T7 type not hot enough.

Great groups you show there. Not sure my Knight is capable of that. I've shot 4''groups at 800 yards with the LR gun member eddybo built for me so I know that on a calm day I can achieve that.

Thanks for the help.:)

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.