Bullet concentricity with Berger Hybrids

2rjshort

I've had grouping issues using the 215 Hybrids. I was able to work up a load shooting 5/8" using the 215 hybrid and 76.2 g of H1000. However upon trying to duplicate the group it opened up to just over an inch. While on the shooting bench i watched one of my loads roll across the table and it was obvious that the bullet was not seated concentric. While I don't have a dial indicator it was very clear when going through my loads which wasn't centered correctly. I have not noticed this with other bullets I've loaded such as Game Kings or Accubonds. Any of you guys experienced this, know what causes it, and how do you go about correcting it?
Thanks,

Are you using a bullets seating stem for VLD bullets? If not the tips might be bottoming out in the stem, not allowing the ogive to center in the stem.

No sir or at least I don't think so. I'm using a Lee seating die for the 300 WM. I never thought about the bullet bottoming out in the die. I also didn't know there was a die for the VLD style bullets. Is there a die you recommend?

how are you sizing the necks/cases???
and yes several makers sell vld seating STEMS, not need to buy the whole die

I like the Redding seater with the micrometer for seating depth adjustment. Brownells generally has the VLD stems in stock.

Full body sizing bumping should a couple thou. Size the neck with bushing.
I checked out the Redding seater. Looks like it may work with my Lee die. I have never used a die with the neck bushing. Are you thinking neck tension could be part of my problem?

I think consistent next tension has more to do with the elasticity and thickness off the neck brass than with which type sizing die you choose to use.

o you are bulling a button thru the necks ? a well known source of neck runout.
get a fl bushing die WITH NO PULL THRU BUTTON.
Is there a good die set available with both the FL die with neck bushing and seater that will work with VLD s?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.