Building a 8 rem mag

Mr 502

I am looking to build a 8 rem mag and am unsure whether to purchase a standard mag or ultra mag 700 action i have re-barreled several savages and know that the standard mag (.532) bolt face on them will accommodate a wsm cartridge so the .535 ultra mag bolt face should be a non issue my concern is more about magazine length thank you in advance for the replys friends

Is there a difference in the bolt length or just the mag well opening between the two I don't have a Ultra action to go by I had considered a Ultra reciver and standard mag bolt my goal is to reduce the amount of machine cuts to a minimum but I'm starting out blind because of lack of access to the Ultra action

Is there a difference in the bolt length or just the mag well opening between the two I don't have a Ultra action to go by I had considered a Ultra reciver and standard mag bolt my goal is to reduce the amount of machine cuts to a minimum but I'm starting out blind because of lack of access to the Ultra action
No difference in bolt length. What Shortgrass said. The LA Magnum action is for belted magnums like the 8mm Remington Magnum. The Ultra mag action is for Ultra mags.

Case head within .002 should be no problem, OACL 3.360 for both cartridges. The only thing I could see that may cause a problem with a RUM Action. The magazine lips may be cut wider for the .037" larger Rum case body and cause feeding problems. Proper feeding would be a thing to check. Good Luck on this adventure.

Cool build, Mr 502! My first rifle as a kid was an 8 mm Mauser, always wanted the 8mm Remington magnum. Even after I got my 300 WM.
Now that I'm older, I find myself going back to wanting some of the guns I used to have and some of the ones I always wanted! Good luck with your build!

Thanks for the advice guys i now have all the pieces for the build and should be able to show off pics on a few weeks I'll keep you posted

I built my 8mm mag on a RUM action, feeds just fine. I am considering a Wyatt's extended box, as I have to seat bullets deep for the factory mag box. If you are considering longer bullets you should consider it as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts