Budget Chrono

R.C.Saul

Im a student on a tight budget. I need a decent chrono to work up my loads so I can keep my freezer full of wild game. Any suggestions on what brand and where the best place to buy would be?

I have a shooting chrony beta-master (masterbeta?:D). It's one of the cheaper models. You pay a little extra over the base model to get the readout on a cable that you can set on the bench rather than have to get the numbers off the chronograph. I think it's worth it.

I've never used any other chronographs, so I can't really compare it to other more expensive models. I can say it doesn't work in dim light. On a sunny day, I can see well enough to see the target at 100 yards a half-hour before sunrise. The chrony won't work until sunrise.

I'm happy with mine. Cost around $90 when I got it in '08. But it's got limitations.

Be nice to see a study that evaluates different chronographs. I'd like to see how they all compare if lined up in a row and measuring velocity on the same bullets.

I was just about to ask a similar question on what chronograph I should get. Like everything else when I read a review on all the ones I've seen there are some good and some bad. The area I shoot at is outdoors, but the benches where we shoot from has a roof overhead so you are in the shade. What chronograph will work best in this case? Thanks for the help!

Find a way to contact the Shooting Chrony company direct. I understand they have a slow but steady stream of used/repaired chronographs they sell at greatly reduced prices. Should be able to get their basic model for something around the $50-60 range.

I am another with the Shooting Chrony Beta Master with the detachable screen. It works good under the conditions I have used it in. It was about a 100.00 at Midway and seems to be backed up with a decent warranty. Scotty

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.