buckmaster 4.5-14 Side Focus adj obj - BDC reticle initial thoughts

mrultramag

Mounted up on leupy dual dovetail low rings (yeah its low). (300 ultra) 700 rem rifle. I founds some likes and dislikes about this scope. I ran it side by side against my buschnell 3200 4x 12x40 adj obj. believe it or not I think the 3200 on 12X gives mores magnification than the nikon at 14.5X. Clarity I give the edge to the 3200 as well. definately brighter. Now I love the size of this scope and I think I'm going to like the BDC reticle. Love the side focus feature. However, I experienced that the clicks moved point of impact much more than the advertised 1/4 min per click. More like 1/2. This made for a little frustration trying to get good fine zero at 100 yd. I wanted to follow the book and ajust like it has 1/4 MOA adjustment. I don't like to guess but thats what I ended up doing. I did the one shot and then adjust the cross hair from the bull over to your point of impact. This got me close. I had a lot of variables I was trying to account for as this gun was just put into a different stock. And this scope was put on not knowing how the gun shot in the new stock. By the time I had 16 rounds down the pipe it was holding 1 1/4 in 3 shot groups at 200. It can do better. The weather climbed into the mid 80's and I had enough as I had fired the 7 rum with the 3200 about 20 times also. 4 hours out in the sun was plenty. My initial thoughts on this scope is that the glass while not great is good enough. It is a much lighter and more compact scope than the 3200 5X15X50 it replaces. and I am looking forward to playing with the BDC reticle and dialing in for longer range. I will be shooting the 200 gr accubond at 3150. I will write some more on this scope after I have much more rifle time behind it and I can give a fair opinion. For the money I think it will be a good purchase.

dufur,

Two things:

#1 if it's suppose to be 1/4 MOA and is more like 1/2 MOA for the money that's junk!

#2 Last year my son's friend, whose entire family are no hunters, went hunting with us (he had not tag); this year we convinced his dad and he bought him a Remington 308 Win. Model 12BVSS and a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 Side Focus which we mounted using Burris rings with the inserts for longer ranges. Out of the box I was impressed how accurate the scope was tracking and the rifle was shooting! This young man has been practicing and I've seen him dialing from 300 to 500+ and accurately busting small rocks. Good rifle, excellent scope. Tracking was very awesome. I suggest you return the scope and get it replaced. I've read many reports saying how good their turrets track.

Respectfully,

Eaglet.

That is some sage advice eaglet. I just think that I should give it some more shooting time and get the gun really dialed and shooting bughole groups and then shoot a square using the adjustments and see for sure just how much point of impact moves. I just want to be sure to eliminate the rifle as a possible variable. Then I want to get someone else to shoot too so as to eliminate me as a variable as well. If the scope is still suspect it will go back. If it was after hunting seasons I would just switch it over to one of my other rifles of known/proven accuracy but with seasons starting next wkend I don't want to screw with any other rifles. It has lifetime warrenty so I guess time is not of the essence. Thanks for reminding me that the consumer does not have to accept performance that is less than advertised. I appreciate the advice! Dufur

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.