Bubble level on scope.

engineer40

SWFA threw in a free bubble level with a scope purchase I made on Black Friday. I had never used a bubble level on a scope before.

I taped a piece of paper to the wall. The I took a handheld carpenters style bubble level and drew both up/down and left/right with a sharpie. I put my gun vise on my ping pong table, mounted the rifle in it, and then lined up the cross hairs to match the axis drawn on the piece of paper exactly. I then went ahead and installed the scope bubble level. This wasn't a method I read about, just something I assumed would work. If I did it wrong, feel free to let me know.

The big surprise came when I went to the range. I sincerely never knew how not level I would fire a rifle a lot of times. I mean, I'm on a level bench using a nice swiveling Harris bipod. The rifle always "looked" level to me. But many times if I glanced at the scope mounted bubble level right before I pulled the trigger, the rifle would indeed not be level.

If you've never used a scope mounted level I think you would be surprised like I was at the amount just a tiny tweak would make. Getting your cheek weld, adjusting your rear bag, tucking the stock into your shoulder, etc... all will cant the rifle sometimes.

I'm probably late to the party on using these. Most people on the site probably already do. I thought I would still share my experience. Thanks!

When I got my first I was the same way. I always paid close attention to the can't of the rifle and THOUGHT I usually had it level. The scope level definitely is enlightening to how much you can't the rifle without knowing it.

When I got my first I was the same way. I always paid close attention to the can't of the rifle and THOUGHT I usually had it level. The scope level definitely is enlightening to how much you can't the rifle without knowing it.

I got the Magpul long distance shooting DVD's a while back. (At one point in the video this guy hit a steel target at 1 mile using a semi auto 308!)

Anyways, if a shooter missed a target after the instructor gave them elevation and windage corrections, the first thing he always said was "Check your level".

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.