Brux barrel in 22-243

B Jordan

bought a Brux barrel a while back someone here recomended it because i needed a barrel fast to get ready for prarie dog season well they broke a boring bit so it took about 3 weeks longer than they said but stuff happens and i understand but why does it always when im in a rush lol they were very curtious though and kept me up to date at all times

as far as quality goes i think they make a very good product i ordered a 30" 1x8"twist stainless barrel that tapered from 1.25 for 6" then to .900 at muzzle and since this was my only my third time rebarreling a rifle from a blank and my first time trueing an action i was really scared that i would mess it up ,but i am pretty familiar with a lathe so i just took my time and thought alot about what i was doing before i did it anyway here is a picture of my rifle villagephotos

here are the first two 5 shot groups after break in villagephotos

this was my starting load 40 grns H 4831 behind a 75grn A-max it avged 3180 fps i ended up pushing it up to 44 grns with an avg of 3470 fps i wanted to get to 3600 fps but i just could not make it without alot of pressure my biggest 5 shot group of the day was .870 but i shot many more .3 ,.4 and .5 groups than anything i probably shot 15 groups and was happy with almost all of them i found myself getting mad when i shot groups in the .6 and .7 range lol

someone said when i posted a question about brux barrels to let them know how it turned out i hope i have done that they seem to be very high quality to me

Thank you to whoever suggested i get one ,

Brian

I ordered one in 7mm 9 twist, MTU Contour for a future project. Turn around time was about 2 weeks. Communication was great, good guys to deal with. It will be a while before I have it chambered, but I am certain it will be a good barrel.

Frank D

Congratulations, good looking rifle and nice groups does the barrel maker have a web site? : /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You may want to try some 80 grain Hornady A-maxes too. They are very sleek. I know you can get 3600 FPS with the 22-243 75 and 80 grain pills. The fastest powders in 22-250 ackley 22-243 were RL 22 and 7828. I am going to be trying ramshot magnum soon in a 22-243 ackley, ill let you know how it works out. Try some 7828 SSC and i bet you ll have the speed and accuracy you want. Got to love those fast 22' slinging high B.C bullets. Nice rifle

If you could compair their quality whaere would they fall ?
1)E.R. Shaw , Adams&Bennit

2)Douglas , Pac-Nor

3) Hart ,Lilja ,Krieger

are they button rifled or cut rifled?

[ QUOTE ]
If you could compair their quality whaere would they fall ?
1)E.R. Shaw , Adams&Bennit

2)Douglas , Pac-Nor

3) Hart ,Lilja ,Krieger

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont really know what to look for to tell you how high quality rates i have just owned this one. and it worked out great for me but i can tell you the price was 265.00 so it is priced about the same as the other high quality barrels

[ QUOTE ]
2)Douglas , Pac-Nor

[/ QUOTE ]

is pacnor not as good as hart,lilja,krieger ????
damnit i just bought 2 of them last month !!!!

[ QUOTE ]
are they button rifled or cut rifled?

[/ QUOTE ]

they are cut rifling

[ QUOTE ]
The fastest powders in 22-250 ackley 22-243 were RL 22 and 7828

[/ QUOTE ]

Tried 7828 with a 75 grn A-max today went up to 45.5 grns without much pressure avged 3585fps with groups staying around the 1/2" mark
also tried retumbo run it to 50 grns and avged 3759 without much pressure could not fit anymore in the case lol. i backed it off to 48.5 grns and it avged 3619fps only shot 2 five shot groups with this load one was the best group out of this rifle .186 the other was around the 1/2" mark

I knew you had a lot of room for improvement in the speed department. Your getting the speed without the pressure whats not to love. If you like the 75 a-max you got to get som new 80 grain a-max, they are very sexy, almost look like a 90. Glad to see things are working out. When you get a good barrel you can do no wrong.

Brian
I am very glad that you are happy with your barrel, and hope to do more business in the furure.
Keep Shooting
Ervin

This post is 3 years old. I'm interested if your concerns have been addressed. How is that 22-243 doing? What is the condition of the BBL 3 years later? Is it history? What loads did it prefer?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.