• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Bruce Baer Nesika Bay Barreled by Jarrett in 300 Jarrett**SOLD**

longrangehunterII

I'm selling my 300 Jarrett that was first built by Bruce Baer using a Nesika Bay action made by Glen Harrison and then barreled later by Kenny Jarrett. As much as I love this gun the recoil has just gotten to me as I have aged. The gun was properly broken in by me and never shot more then a three round group between cooling. The gun has 187 documented rounds down the barrel.
This gun weights 10 1/2 lbs. w/the Night Force 3.5-15x50 NSX scope, it has the NP-R2 reticle which has 2 MOA elevation and 5 MOA windage increments within the reticle. 30 MOA total of elevation (15x2 MOA hash marks) will easily get you out to 1200 yards without having to dial if need be, or dial the dope using the turrets.

Nesika Bay Action Model V made in Poulsbo, WA.
Jarrett Rifles Inc. 25" 1:12" 6 groove button-rifled SS Barrel chambered in 300 Jarrett
Jewel trigger
McMillian Sako Hunter stock in desert camo
H&S Precision three round center feed DBM
Baer rings and bases
Night Force NSX 3.5-15x50 scope NP-R2
Redding 300 Jarrett 3 die set (Neck/FL and seating die)
105 pieces of New Jarrett brass in 300 Jarrett (made by Norma for Jarrett)
68 pieces of twice fired brass
22 pieces of once fired brass
6-165 gr. Barnes MRX loaded rounds (3400 fps)
63-185 gr. Berger Juggernaut OTM rounds (3050 fps)

The gun will shot less then 3/8"-1/2" MOA off a bipod out to 800 yards if I do my part correctly. It is in "MINT CONDITION", not a single mark on it anywhere. The scope has had a black fleck that is very vary small on the inside of the glass, that being said it has never bothered me unless you stare at it! If you are looking at it your not looking at the center of the scope or the reticle. Basically meaningless as far as it being there, the scope does track perfectly and has never let me down.

I have load data for the Nosler 165 BT (3450 fps), and the Berger 185 Juggernaut as well as what didn't work. Unfortunately the Barnes MRX bullets have been discontinued and I only have the six loaded rounds left. I do have two boxes (20 pieces each) of the 180 Gr. MRX's but no load data as I never tested them.

$4,000.00 USD Shipped lower 48 only to your FFL dealer.

Attachments

• Nesika 300 Jarrett.jpg
    Nesika 300 Jarrett.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Nesika Bay barreled action.jpg
    Nesika Bay barreled action.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Nesika 300 Jarrett NF NSX.jpg
    Nesika 300 Jarrett NF NSX.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Nesika "Barreled by Jarrett".jpg
    Nesika "Barreled by Jarrett".jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Nesika H&S DBM photo.jpg
    Nesika H&S DBM photo.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Nesika Bolt face.jpg
    Nesika Bolt face.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 10
Re: Bruce Baer Nesika Bay Barreled by Jarrett in 300 Jarrett

Over the weekend I put together some more ammo I had a load already developed last year so I could use up the rest of the powder I had on hand, the 185 Berger Juggernaut and VV N165, and test. This was not driven fast because I wanted a reduced recoil load that would be accurate.
I had to zero the scope to this load so I used some fireformed brass that was only neck sized, interesting is that it wouldn't group as well the new unfired brass, see shots 4-6 were actually better the 1-3 and the retest of the neck sized brass 7-9.
These were done prone at 273 yards using a Harris bipod and a rear bag off a steep dirt mound, (more like a roof top shot).

The P-Dog was shot from the same spot only it's further out at 380 yards. The first shot went left so I corrected and put two into the belly.

The two holes punched through the Hardox 1/4" steel were from the 165 gr. MRX bullets shot at the same distance before our Elk Season started. Notice that those are AP Armor piercing.... and more then likely why Barnes discontinued making them.

Attachments

• 185 Juggernaut November 3 2014.jpg
    185 Juggernaut November 3 2014.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 10
  • P Dog 185 Juggernaut 380 yards.jpg
    P Dog 185 Juggernaut 380 yards.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 10
  • P Dog 185 Berger 300 Jarrett .jpg
    P Dog 185 Berger 300 Jarrett .jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 6

I've received a few emails from people not familiar with the 300 Jarrett Cartridge and/or where to get components for it. So I thought I'd add a few reasons why it makes sense to use such a cartridge.

Basically it's a STW necked up to .308 with a 35 degree shoulder and blown out, and/or the 8mm Remington Magnum necked down and improved.

Brass is available which makes loading ammo simple, just buy the brass, load it and go hunting. Or loaded ammo is available through Jarrett Rifles that is very accurate in this rifle. Their 165 Nosler 165 loaded ammo shot under a 3/8" group in this rifle, I know that first hand because that's what I used to break in the barrel. Jarrett rifles has produced thousand of rifles in this caliber and they know what will work, and their loaded ammo will produce under 1/2" MOA accuracy out of the box if one does not care to load ammo her/him self.

To make the .300 Jarrett run the 8mm Rem. Mag. brass through a Redding .300 Jarrett full length die, then load 79 gr. of H1000 powder with any 180 gr. .30 caliber bullet and fire it in the rifle. That's all there is to it. You can also use .375 brass which is the same length as 8mm Mag brass.

In a pinch or jam, 300 Wby. ammo can be safely fired in a 300 Jarrett chamber if you happen to lose your ammo, although the case can not be reloaded because the neck will be too short.

This case design as been around for a long time now and used extensively in long range shooting. The 300 Arnold, 30-8mm Rem. Mag., 375 JRS Magnum are all variants of it. As well as the very popular 7mm Shooting Times Westerner (7mm STW) or even the 358 Shooting Times Alaskan (358 STA) for that matter.

Hey this isn't new, but has worked for thousands of others using the same thing either neck up or down and has been a useful tool for hunting Big Game Animals all over the World. If you can buy loaded ammo that's super accurate and/or make it yourself, or even use a 300 Weatherby round in the gun if you had too, what's not to like about it?

In this day and age where ammo and/or components can be either hard to find or non-existent, why not use something that a phone call can have whatever you want shipped to you within a week. Or use a different manufactures ammo in your firearm..... not may guns can do that other then the 458 Lott. Which is why I like this cartridge design, it just works well, easy to load for and ammo is available even when nothing is on the shelves for some cartridges out there.

I got a few more questions that had come up about the recoil of this gun. First off a 10.5 lbs. gun recoils less then lets say a light weight 7.5-8 lbs. gun, but more then a 13.00 lbs. weapon.

A muzzle brake is easy to have installed which would reduce felt recoil as well as improve accuracy. Those two shots 1.625" apart that hit the steel P-Dog at 380 yards equals out to 0.428 MOA. Any good brake would reduce that size no matter how you look at it, plus the felt recoil would be something in the neighborhood of a 308 Winchester.

For me it was I could tolerate the recoil at the time and I wasn't interested in having my ears blown off while out in the field hunting...... or anyone else standing next to me for that matter. So I ran this gun with no brake even though Kenny puts them on almost every 300 Jarrett he builds. I had shot them before and at the time didn't want one on it.

Honestly I hate it when shooting next to someone how's running a muzzle brake, even with hearing protection it's rough. Now we have suppressers and I love mine, but having that much extra length hanging off the end of the barrel is too long in the extremely dense woods of Northern Idaho where I hunt, and a single shot doesn't really bother me when I'm in the field hunting.

Here's a pic from the FFP from where I shot an Elk this season, (down the power line just below from where the sun is shining), the shot was 482 yards. It was easy and the bullet landed 1 inch from POA. At the shot he did nothing...... about 30 seconds later the bull moved four steps to the right and then fell over with its feet in the air, rolled back to his feet and was dead 30 feet from where he fell over. I found him in the timber on his back again. Taste great too.

Attachments

• 2014 Bull Elk Idaho.jpg
    2014 Bull Elk Idaho.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 2014 Elk hunt shooting position.jpg
    2014 Elk hunt shooting position.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Rifle, scope bases, all the brass, ammo, die set, custom Sinclair Rod guide and a gun case $3,000.00 shipped and insured to your FFL dealer.

With the NF NSX scope and all the above $4,000.00 shipped and insured to FFL dealer.

Last edited:

Rifle, brass, ammo, dies, etc. SOLD PENDING FUNDS.

Scope is available IF the gun sells.