Brown's Precision KS stock barrel channel?

5RWill

So long story short I'm on a mission to rebarrel our 700 KS custom in 300wby to 7PRC. I have a #4 wilson carbon on order. #4 sporter contour – 1.200″ – 3″ straight shank, tapering to .685″ at 26″. I for the life of me cannot find up to what size barrel the stock can accommodate, looking at it, I'm pretty sure I will have to open up the barrel channel. Does anyone know in particular? I messaged Brown's precision as well, though dunno if I'll get a response.

FWIWI had one that had a Christensen CF in it. The top of the fore end were thin, but there was a little meat there. You should have plenty of meat left with a number 4.

Not much help.

IMG_3681.jpeg

You should be able to pull this off, Not all KS stocks were brown precision, if it is a brown precision stock, it is a Kevlar shell over a foam core, Kevlar does not cut or sand like fiberglass, so opening up the channel can be a challenge depending on how you plan to open it up, in addition you are likely to cut thru the outter shell in the barrel channel so additional glass work may be required,

I no longer have this stock, but I believe it was in the foam, but it was smoothe. Didn't seem like it was compromised, but it has been a few years. Not noticeable with that fat barrel in it.

Maybe just a thick spray paint down the channel to seal it up.

The way you can tell is from the cheekpiece. McMillans have a raised piece, browns are flat.

I tried opening up a KS McMillan to a Proof Medium Sporter (pretty close to a 2B) and it was too large for the channel.

The way you can tell is from the cheekpiece. McMillans have a raised piece, browns are flat.

I tried opening up a KS McMillan to a Proof Medium Sporter (pretty close to a 2B) and it was too large for the channel.
At least some of the brown precision did come with a raised cheek piece, when brown stopped supplying stocks to Remington, I was a able to pick up a handful of stocks, both long and short action, aswell as the model seven, all with a cheek piece.

So were you able to open it up?

At least some of the brown precision did come with a raised cheek piece, when brown stopped supplying stocks to Remington, I was a able to pick up a handful of stocks, both long and short action, aswell as the model seven, all with a cheek piece.
My apologies. That's what I always heard. Didn't mean to spread misinformation.

Able to, yes. Should have? No. Not enough meat for a clean looking free float. There was also considerable loss in stability at that point
A #2 is pretty thin that's not promising to hear. Might have to look into another stock if so.

Mark responded. Gave him the contour dimensions and he said they work with Kevlar all the time and wouldn't even attempt to open it up. So trying to find what i can fit into it. If it won't take. #3 I'll have to put it up for sale.

FWIW, if looking for 1 pound ish...I just picked up a Christensen ultralight. It is fit to their action, but they advertise as a Rem clone I believe. Very similar ergonomics to the Brown. Sweeping pistol grip with a long trigger reach. Traditional hunting stock with no cheek piece.