browning BLR .284 or another 7mm cartridge

stephenr6565

I am currently building a 264 win mag for long range but I want to get a browning BLR for shorter range 4-500 max I know browning doesn't currently make a BLR in a .284 but they used to and there is a few used ones on the net that look like they are in good shape is a .284 a good choice for this rifle or should I just get a different 7mm cartridge in this rifle and is there any difference in quality between the older BLR's and the new ones also what velocity would one expect out of a .284 with say the berger 168 gr classic hunters I think they came with a 22" or 24" barrel

Back in the day everything I shot was with a BLR in .284 Win!! I bought it new in 1991 and killed lots of deer and elk with mine......it's still in the safe with a 2-7VX II mounted on it. It was a MOA shooter but it haven't fired a shot in almost 10 years......I love the way it balances and when I was a little younger carried it many miles.

The short magazine hampers the ability for the longer bullets, I shot the 139 & 154 gr Hornady bullets out of mine......it was replaced by a browning A bolt in the same caliber which I still use occasionally.

It's a classic clambering and a well balanced rifle, go for it.....400-500 yds should be easy.

I have 2 and never pass a good deal on one when There is one to be had. I dream to make a custom one some day. Can't go wrong with a blr!

Back in the day everything I shot was with a BLR in .284 Win!! I bought it new in 1991 and killed lots of deer and elk with mine......it's still in the safe with a 2-7VX II mounted on it. It was a MOA shooter but it haven't fired a shot in almost 10 years......I love the way it balances and when I was a little younger carried it many miles.

The short magazine hampers the ability for the longer bullets, I shot the 139 & 154 gr Hornady bullets out of mine......it was replaced by a browning A bolt in the same caliber which I still use occasionally.

It's a classic clambering and a well balanced rifle, go for it.....400-500 yds should be easy.

I was thinking you might be able to fit the 168 berger classic hunters in a BLR because those bullets conform to saami standards so these bullets are supposed to be able to fit in standard magazines?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.