Brown bear hunt on the Alaska Peninsula October 2021

Jeffrthehunter

October 3rd
My alarm goes off at 3:45 am. I live in Portland Oregon and I board a fight at 630am leaving for Anchorage Alaska. Let's back up a little. I never really thought I would be going on a Brown bear hunt, I felt they were too expensive and low success rate. About 6 months ago I was talking with an Alaska outfitter about a Sheep hunt I was interested in (bucket list stuff). The outfitter explained to me that they were booked out three years for a sheep hunt. She also told me they did have a spot open for their fall Brown Bear hunt, a very remote location on the Alaska Peninsula. She stated that they hunt creeks and river areas with spawning salmon, bears love salmon. After checking some references and doing some research I booked the hunt. Back to travel, I get to Anchorage with no trouble, I have one large duffle bag and gun case. Get to hotel and relax for the night.
October 4th,
Alarm goes off at 6am and I head back to airport. This flight is a much smaller commuter plane, it takes me to a small island on the Alaska Peninsula. The flight was awesome as the view was incredible, large knife edge mountains cover with snow, lakes, and rivers everywhere. Also on the flight were several other bear hunters and a few guides, including my guide, Mike. A very soft-spoken guy with 20 years' experience hunting in Alaska. We get to the island and after a five-minute drive we get to a bed and breakfast. This is home while you are waiting to be flown into your hunting camp. The island mainly exists to support the fishing industry. With a population of a few hundred it has a marina, small store. and a pizza joint. At this point things were a little up in the air. First hunt day is the 7th ( 3 days from now ) but we still could not fly to camp as none of the guides got their luggage, not all the luggage would fit into the airplane cargo hold. Missing bags would be shipped in asap, hopefully the next day. Also, the smaller Cub bush planes were not here due to bad weather.
October 5th
Woke up at 5am, drank coffee and chatted with a couple of the guides. At 9am the weather was beautiful, I went for a walk through the marina, a small marina but all the boats were large commercial fishing vessels rigged for salmon fishing and crabbing. I then notice two small planes flying overhead, must be our bush planes I thought. Went back to the house and everyone was getting ready to go, bags arrived, pilots arrived, and the weather was perfect. Now I am super excited, final heading to the hunting area!!! The flight in the small bush plane (just me and the pilot) took 35 minutes. Flying over snow covered mountains, ocean waters, and lots of creeks and rivers. We landed on a small grassy flat area between the tents and the ocean. Camp was already setup by my guide Mike, just two small tents, one for me and cooking, and one for Mike. Immediately I was a little nervous as I saw a huge bear trail coming right through our camp. Rest of the day was organizing and a little glassing.

To be continued...

20211010_122849_resized.jpg

20211022_134347_resized.jpg

October 6th
We get up at 7 (doesn't get light till 830), have some coffee and breakfast. At this point Mike tells me "We can't go to the creek and look for bears". I was bummed and asked him "why not"? He said, "the salmon creek is on the other side of the ridge, we need to stay out, going in there would spread our scent around and the bears would leave". I was bummed, so I talked him into some close by scouting. We hiked to the top of a small rocky knob near the beach and glassed for bears, saw lots of bear sign but no bears. I was told when I booked the hunt that I would see bears most everyday with 10 bears a day being possible. I have been here for two days and no bears (doubt is creeping into my mind).
October 7th (opening day of bearing season) I wake up 2 hours early and I'm so excited I can't get back to sleep. I make some coffee and wait for Mike to get up. We start out the morning at first light walking a bear trail that will lead us to a look out. At this point I want to describe the hunting area that we will be spending our time in. Our camp is 300 yards from the beach and close to sea level. We have grass, tundra (mossy thick green ground cover), and rocky areas between us and the beach. Ocean shoreline has sections of sandy beach and some very rocky sections, this goes on for miles in both directions. Behind our camp there is a thick alder brush hill the gradually slopes up to our look out, brush is super thick and about 6 feet high (great place for bears to hide). To get to our lookout we follow the beach for 1/2 a mile and then we walk up an open ridge that leads to the top of the hill. Very near the top there is a rock ledge that overlooks the creek and main hunting area. To the left the mouth area of the creek near the beach is a huge delta, its full of water at high tide and mostly mud at low tide. A large beach dune separates the delta from the ocean. There is a small cutout in the dune where the river empties into the sea. The ledge we hunt from is 400 feet above the delta and down below to the left is a large grassy area where the bear feed. Back to hunting!
Leaving the tent on opening morning my anticipation is through the roof. 6 months of preparation, new gun build (custom 375 H&H with 3-18 scope), new gear, lots of hiking to get in shape, I am ready!!! As we walk the bear trail along the beach, we aren't 500 yards from the tent and I can see the back of a bear just in front of us, I stop Mike and point. We both smile as we realize it is the back of a large porcupine... Another 500 yards we get to the ridge line where we can start to see the creek and delta, I immediately see several bears. " Mike, which one can I shoot", he says "none" and proceeds away from the bears and takes us up the ridge to the lookout. We get to the lookout, I see 6 more bears in the grassy area adjacent to the delta. "Mike, which one should I shoot", he tells me to "Sit tight I need to look them over", I'm thinking *** Mike I want to shoot one. An hour later most of the bears have walked into alder thickets and are gone. Mike explains that we are looking for a large male over 8', none of the bears were big enough and most of them were sows and cubs. Throughout the day we saw several bears, I'm guessing about 20 total for the day but no shooters. I was bummed that we didn't shoot one but optimistic about rest of the hunt as we saw so many animals. Just before dark we start heading towards camp. Just 100 yards from the lookout heading down the ridge I see a bear 80 yards in front of us. I stop Mike and point out the bear, he looks it over and said its only 7 foot (to small) and we need to sneak around. The bear still has its head down and is sniffing the trail where we walked in this morning. We both chamber a round into our rifles, we start paralleling the trail to get past him and the next thing I notice is he is sitting up and looking directly at us 60 yards away. Mike says, "This is not good, the bear is not afraid of us, we need to go" ( no ****, I think to myself !). On our way back to camp we talk about how that bear will likely follow our steps back to the camp. Safe in our tents we eat dinner and go to bed. Lights are out and I'm thinking about the day when something very large starts sniffing outside my tent. This was not a fox or deer sniff, much louder and deeper, a bear is in our camp!!!! Mike also hears the bear; we both start shouting and turn on our headlamps. Gun in hand we walk around outside the tents while yelling, thankfully the bear is gone. Back to bed where a get little sleep before day number 2.
To be continued….

20211006_132250_resized.jpg

20211015_162403_resized.jpg

October 8th
Got to the ridge and saw one bear in the delta, Mike stated it was a small sow so we just kept looking. The game plan was to sit at the glassing spot every day until we see a shooter bear. If you walk around too much you just leave human scent everywhere and the bears will just leave. At mid-morning we saw a bear in the creek upriver about 1500 yards, Mike thought it might be a boar and could be close to 8 feet but too risky to make a stock. Chances are that by the time we get to this bear he would be back in the brush and we would have spread our scent all over the area.
(The gun I am using for this hunt is a 375 H&H with 300 grain Swift A Frame bullets. Mike wants my first shot to be under 200 yards and would like the bear to be in the open for a follow up shot. I can hit a bear with this gun out to 400 yards but tracking an injured bear in this area is very dangerous.)
We then have a sow and cub enter the delta, they stayed out all day swimming, playing, and feeding. On the far side of the creek we saw several other sows and cubs but again no shooters. Just as we are finishing up for the day a blonde bear walks out of the brush right below us, 125 yards away. To me the thing looked huge but once again Mike said no, says it looks to be a 7 foot sow.

October 9th
We get to our viewing spot and see a single bear on the delta, looks pretty big and I'm getting excited. Then a short distance away a cub pops out, non-shooter. (It is illegal to shoot a sow with cubs.) Mid-morning, we see a big dark brown colored bear moving towards us, looks bigger than all the other bears we have seen. Mike agrees its big, over 8 feet but he is pretty sure it's a sow. Wow, this sucks...
October 10th
First thing in the morning we have a bear walking towards our ridge then it enters the alder thickets down the ridge about 300 yards away. 10 minutes later the bear pops out of the alders just 60 yards from us. We both chamber a round, Mike says "don't shoot it is a sow". She stares at us for a minute or two then turns and walks below us and leaves. These bear encounters really get me nervous and worked up. There are 100s of stories where anger brown bears will start to harass hunters, I really do not want to experience something like that.
October 11th and 12th
Similar to previous days but fewer bear sightings, we are starting to think our scent and lack of fish in the creek are causing bears to leave the area. I am starting to get a little down, am I going home empty handed? Mike has now agreed that if we get a chance at the 8 foot black boar or the 8 foot sow (Mike said that the lone sow looks pretty old and is probably past her breeding years) I can take a shot. I really do not want to go home empty handed and agree we should try for one of those bears if we get the opportunity.
October 13th
First thing in the morning the blonde sow from day 3 came through the alders just below us, again at 60 yards, she looked around and walked down and out of sight. In the afternoon we had two fox's come out near our lookout and then a beautiful gray wolf walked through the meadow right below us. The Wolf was gorgeous, mostly white and light gray with a tail tip of jet black. Very few bear sightings on this day. The trip is starting to wear on me, lots of rain and wind. Some days you just can't keep warm and your almost always wet. There was a constant 15-30 wind with gust reaching 40 plus. I am starting to lose the mental game and getting a little down, maybe I won't get a shot, maybe I'll go home with no bear. I keep telling myself it's about the experience and to stay positive but it's hard for me to follow my own advice...

20211008_152600_resized.jpg

20211009_111912_resized.jpg

October 14th
Day starts as normal with us leaving the tent at first light. As with every morning when we get closer to the beach (only 200 yards from the tent) Mike uses his binoculars to take a quick look around before we move to the lookout. But this time is different, he says "I see a bear"! I say nothing and wait for him to tell me it's a sow, but nothing. After a few minutes he looks at me and says, "if you're ok with a less than trophy bear we can take a closer look". He thinks it's a boar and possible 8 feet, I'm like he'll yes!!! We find a good spot to shoot from; I have a small hole for my legs to sit in and set both packs in front of me. I felt like I was setup up on a shooting bench, rock solid!!! We are now 275 yards from the bear with a broadside shot, I'm ready to squeeze one off. Mike tells me not to shoot that he is in a bad position for any follow up shot and a little too far. If he follows the bear trail he is on we will have him at 200 yards and standing in a large opening, I dial my scope for 200. Walking towards us he takes a right turn and drops out of sight. I started to worry as i search the area, where did he go? Mike whispers, " there he is, near the rock wall". He is walking to the left, broadside, and only 160 yards away. My reticle is tight behind his shoulder and i squeeze one off. I did not see the impact, but the sound of a hit was obvious. Mike tells me to keep shooting and I get two more rounds off before he drops! First shot went through the heart and both lungs. My mind is racing, what the help just happened? At these points in a hunt everything seems so surreal, this is why I hunt! We do the usual high fives and just sit and go over the events. I ask Mike " are you sure he is a boar?" Mike " yep, I think so." Me " is he 8 foot?" Mike " at least 8, maybe closer to 9". I was so happy and relieved, what a great moment. BTW, bear measured right at 9 foot and was a boar which was my original goal! After skinning and removing skull, we had a super long 300 yard hike back to camp.
October 15th and 16th
Weather was so bad that we could not get picked up. We just stayed in the tent and tried to stay warm, both nights we had more bears in camp. The 16th a huge storm came through and rained all day, we had wind gust over 50 mph.
October 17th
Early in the morning the sky cleared to a beautiful blue and we were picked up by the bush plane and headed home, I was grateful to get back and take a warm shower and eat something other than Mountain House.

20211015_060001_resized.jpg

20211014_111250_resized.jpg

20211014_163617_resized_1.jpg

October 14th
Day starts as normal with us leaving the tent at first light. As with every morning when we get closer to the beach (only 200 yards from the tent) Mike uses his binoculars to take a quick look around before we move to the lookout. But this time is different, he says "I see a bear"! I say nothing and wait for him to tell me it's a sow, but nothing. After a few minutes he looks at me and says, "if you're ok with a less than trophy bear we can take a closer look". He thinks it's a boar and possible 8 feet, I'm like he'll yes!!! We find a good spot to shoot from; I have a small hole for my legs to sit in and set both packs in front of me. I felt like I was setup up on a shooting bench, rock solid!!! We are now 275 yards from the bear with a broadside shot, I'm ready to squeeze one off. Mike tells me not to shoot that he is in a bad position for any follow up shot and a little too far. If he follows the bear trail he is on we will have him at 200 yards and standing in a large opening, I dial my scope for 200. Walking towards us he takes a right turn and drops out of sight. I started to worry as i search the area, where did he go? Mike whispers, " there he is, near the rock wall". He is walking to the left, broadside, and only 160 yards away. My reticle is tight behind his shoulder and i squeeze one off. I did not see the impact, but the sound of a hit was obvious. Mike tells me to keep shooting and I get two more rounds off before he drops! First shot went through the heart and both lungs. My mind is racing, what the help just happened? At these points in a hunt everything seems so surreal, this is why I hunt! We do the usual high fives and just sit and go over the events. I ask Mike " are you sure he is a boar?" Mike " yep, I think so." Me " is he 8 foot?" Mike " at least 8, maybe closer to 9". I was so happy and relieved, what a great moment. BTW, bear measured right at 9 foot and was a boar which was my original goal! After skinning and removing skull, we had a super long 300 yard hike back to camp.
October 15th and 16th
Weather was so bad that we could not get picked up. We just stayed in the tent and tried to stay warm, both nights we had more bears in camp. The 16th a huge storm came through and rained all day, we had wind gust over 50 mph.
October 17th
Early in the morning the sky cleared to a beautiful blue and we were picked up by the bush plane and headed home, I was grateful to get back and take a warm shower and eat something other than Mountain House.

View attachment 307921

View attachment 307922

View attachment 307923
You are a lucky man. You just did my dream hunt. Saved me $10s of thousands and I didn't have to pack any bags.
Great story and trip. Thanks for sharing!

October 3rd
My alarm goes off at 3:45 am. I live in Portland Oregon and I board a fight at 630am leaving for Anchorage Alaska. Let's back up a little. I never really thought I would be going on a Brown bear hunt, I felt they were too expensive and low success rate. About 6 months ago I was talking with an Alaska outfitter about a Sheep hunt I was interested in (bucket list stuff). The outfitter explained to me that they were booked out three years for a sheep hunt. She also told me they did have a spot open for their fall Brown Bear hunt, a very remote location on the Alaska Peninsula. She stated that they hunt creeks and river areas with spawning salmon, bears love salmon. After checking some references and doing some research I booked the hunt. Back to travel, I get to Anchorage with no trouble, I have one large duffle bag and gun case. Get to hotel and relax for the night.
October 4th,
Alarm goes off at 6am and I head back to airport. This flight is a much smaller commuter plane, it takes me to a small island on the Alaska Peninsula. The flight was awesome as the view was incredible, large knife edge mountains cover with snow, lakes, and rivers everywhere. Also on the flight were several other bear hunters and a few guides, including my guide, Mike. A very soft-spoken guy with 20 years' experience hunting in Alaska. We get to the island and after a five-minute drive we get to a bed and breakfast. This is home while you are waiting to be flown into your hunting camp. The island mainly exists to support the fishing industry. With a population of a few hundred it has a marina, small store. and a pizza joint. At this point things were a little up in the air. First hunt day is the 7th ( 3 days from now ) but we still could not fly to camp as none of the guides got their luggage, not all the luggage would fit into the airplane cargo hold. Missing bags would be shipped in asap, hopefully the next day. Also, the smaller Cub bush planes were not here due to bad weather.
October 5th
Woke up at 5am, drank coffee and chatted with a couple of the guides. At 9am the weather was beautiful, I went for a walk through the marina, a small marina but all the boats were large commercial fishing vessels rigged for salmon fishing and crabbing. I then notice two small planes flying overhead, must be our bush planes I thought. Went back to the house and everyone was getting ready to go, bags arrived, pilots arrived, and the weather was perfect. Now I am super excited, final heading to the hunting area!!! The flight in the small bush plane (just me and the pilot) took 35 minutes. Flying over snow covered mountains, ocean waters, and lots of creeks and rivers. We landed on a small grassy flat area between the tents and the ocean. Camp was already setup by my guide Mike, just two small tents, one for me and cooking, and one for Mike. Immediately I was a little nervous as I saw a huge bear trail coming right through our camp. Rest of the day was organizing and a little glassing.

To be continued...

View attachment 305701

View attachment 305702
Was the plane on AUTO Pilot???

As Jeffrthehunter has eluded to in his story, brown bear hunting is a "mental game". You've spent THOUSANDS of dollars, physically prepared, shot your rifle, extremely confident and you're going on a hunt of a lifetime for "most" of us. BUT nobody can tell you what's going to happen to your mental state as each day passes. ☹️

You're absolutely thrilled to be hunting in the great last frontier, but your mind keeps saying "what if I don't kill". You did great Jeff and got through it, with a great bear.

Recent Posts