Broken zeiss

John Gardiner

Hi all, Does anybody happen to have an old broken victory fl with the illumination? I have a 4-16x50 which i really enjoy. But a year or two ago on a trip, I was carrying my rifle across my front so the stock didn't knock on the motorbike as they do. Only to find when I stopped after 1/2hr the whole illumination control was gone. It had simply unscrewed itself. Not just the battery cover , but the brightness control as well ,never to be seen again. All that was left was an electrical ribbon hanging out of the scope. The internal thread is fine and the ribbon looks ok. I made a temporary screw in cap for protection, as the rest of the scope was fine until I had a chance to send it back to Germany for repairs. Zeiss apparently were unsure if they could repair it and offered me a refurbished one at a reasonable cost. Which makes me think they must have parts etc to be able to refurbish the same scopes? I got it sent back and are using it still. I did say yes to a refurbished one , but as yet quite a few months later are still waiting to hear back . You might say what about the 30 year warranty? A good question? Probably NZ is such a small market and a long way a way, bad service won't dent their sales in anyway.
So I'd like to have a go at repair if I can find the parts from a donner scope that maybe have been damaged beyond repair. Any advice or help appreciated. Thanks.

As far as I know they warranty all scopes for life But not the Electrical system they have a limited time on those . That is most companies

I accept that. But the electronics never failed. They fell off. The question was asked if it was warranty or a quote to fix. I got neither. If you had a jeep and after a few years the drive shaft fell off and you returned it too the factory and asked to quote a replacement or fix it under a life time warranty for faulty workmanship. And you got a response saying for half the price of a new jeep , they could sell you a refurbished one. When all you wanted was a drive shaft. Would you be happy? I'm not rubbishing Zeiss. But I paid a premium price for a premium product and expected service to match. Leupold , Burris , Bushnell etc would have sorted this quick smart.