Broke a long dry spell

Tnwhip

20140722_195941.jpgI don't know how many times I have been out, but a bunch. Finally broke the dry spell. It has been a while sense I have hunted this place and where I set up the weeds were to high to see over. I got there about 2 hours before dark and there was a doe 180yards across the field that spotted me. She saw me but didn't know what I was. She finally stepped back into the woods. I took my machete and cut the weeds down where I could see and sat down and got ready. I picked my binoculars up and scanned the back of the field. All of a sudden there was a coyote comming out of the grass at 400 yards. The field makes an L shape and she disappeared into the woods. I broke out the call and made some fawn bleats and waited a minute then did a greeting howl and she came out into the field about 100 yards of where the doe had been standing and was going to try and get the wind in her favor and I barked at her and she stopped at around 120 yards. The 22-250 with the 50g V max put a big hole in her shoulder as you can see.

Last edited:
thanks
I have been back twice trying to pick up one of her buddies but no luck yet. I started to go this evening but worked pretty hard today and I just wanted to kick back. I will try it again tomorrow or the next day. Need to go now, the Soy beans will be too tall in another week to see anything.

I got up this morning and went down to the farm. No coyote but I have 4 nice bucks out in the field eating my soy beans one has a double main beam on his left side. I have seen these bucks together before. This time they were 160 yds out. Got a real good look at them. With luck I will be sitting here putting the cross hairs on them this hunting season and pull the trigger. Instead of just looking. gun)

Hey Townwimp nice going. The fields by me give everything a free pass this time of the year since it's all so high

Well done! You're right, that .22-250 puts a hole in there. Sounds like a good location too. Always a good time to hunt coyotes!

Good grief! That's a big whole!

Congrats on ending your dry spell. Get some more, brother.

Cheers,
Das Berg Jager

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.