Breaking into Alliant Powder / 270 thru 300WSM

• Thread starter Deleted member 107796
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 107796

All,
I've never used the Alliant Reloader powders and was wondering which, if any, may suit a wide range of calibers from 270win to 300WSM. In my reloading data I see RE19 for many loads for this range and the velocities look very good. I'd consider that as my first choice to try. What other type may suit what I'm looking for? cheers

In the 270 win reloder 16, 23, and 26 can do well. Oh, and 17 was great with 130 but I quit using it once I ran out because it is not as temp stable as others.

All,
I've never used the Alliant Reloader powders and was wondering which, if any, may suit a wide range of calibers from 270win to 300WSM. In my reloading data I see RE19 for many loads for this range and the velocities look very good. I'd consider that as my first choice to try. What other type may suit what I'm looking for? cheers
I've had good acuracy with Reloder 19 for 300wsm.
Every 270wsm I've had loves Reloder 26. My newest 24" barrel is ushing 140 Classic Hunters a touch over 3400 fps. Thats is the accuracy load not the top end...BTW I never found top end!

I use Reloder 16 for 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08 Rem, 308 Win and with up to 180gr bullets in 30-06. Reloder 23 is great for 243 Win, 270 Win, 280 AI, 7mm Rem Mag, with 200+gr bullets in 30-06 and for 338 Win Mag. Both powders produce excellent accuracy, temperature stability and velocity across the board on all the above listed cartridges, with the appropriate bullets. Reloder 23 will work in 300 Win Mag and it produces great accuracy with 212gr to 215gr bullets but, velocity is pretty anemic.

Drop down to the 110 grain ttsx for 3550 fps. That was in the 23" barrel of my old Browning. Haven't tried for top end in the 24(.3?)" tube on the Tikka. The 270 shorty is a fun little hot rod. I've pushed 150s 3220 before running out of boiler room. Can't wait to see what RL26 and a little more free bore will do...

So I see 16, 17, 19, 23, 26.
That's been my issue... it seems as though these overlap in performance to some extent and many experiment with what works for them.

All,
Reloader 16 is my go to for both those calibers as well as several more. Basic data can be found on the alliant website.

I'm a big fan of Reloader 19 in my .270 Winchester K98 Mauser Sporter with a Douglas barrel. It is the only powder that handles 150 grain bullets extremely well in this rifle. It is also the best powder for pet loads of 140 and 130 grain bullets in that rifle. All shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I have started using RL19 in 30.06 loads for my Remington 721 with promising results but I still have work to do there.

I have had RE17 work well in all my WSM's. Just made purchases of RE16, 23, and 26. I plan to move over to those from the RE17, 22, 25. Hopefully, I'll have good luck with them!

RL15 for my 7-08, RL22 for my .243, RL26 for the 300WSM, RL10x in the .204, ARComp for the .223, Power Pistol and Unique for some Pistol loads. Years ago when I got started reloading, Alliant Powder was plentiful in our small rural town, so that's what I used... and still use for certain loads. Not a lot of extreme temp. changes in the Mnt's of NC for hunting loads. Don't get hung up on "one" powder manufacturer. Part of the fun is trying different powders...and your gun will tell you what it likes. Like most powders, Alliant overlaps, just pay attention to your bullet weights. Some of the guys on here that shoot in areas with extreme temp. changes can speak more on Temp. Stability. Good Luck !

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.