bowhunting elk questions ?

tomahawk37

I live in western washington and new to this site. I've been bowhunting elk for the past 4 years. Since I go by myself does anybody have any suggestions on how to call them in without coming straight in or should I try and get in front of them without calling? I've called in (1) 4 x 4 and could not get a clean shot. Any suggestions would help. Thanks

Welcome! Get one of these decoys: http://www.montanadecoy.com/images/decoys/elk/rear_big.jpg
Set up about 30 yards in front and to the side a bit...start calling until you get one coming in and then don't call again unless he gets off course; he'll go straight to the decoy.
BTW--check out the Packwood area...Carlton Creek and Courtright Creek areas have a lot of elk.
Good luck!

If you're a do-it-yourself type, you can make your own decoy out of cardboard :D

When bowhunting elk by yourself, it helps to NOT call at all. I know it isnt as fun and exciting but ambushing them is many times more productive when by yourself. If you are determind to call then the next best thing to an ambush is a decoy (as was already mentioned.)

Some other tactics that have worked for myself and others is use low light and get agressive. If you can hear your bull bugling and you are sure he has at least a couple of cows you can run right at them and as soon as you see elk, stop and bugle. They are used to running bulls making a ton of noise and if the light is right you can see their light bodies before they can see you. The bull will typically feel you have invaded his personal space and come to you but you had better be close (well under 100 yards) or else he is more likely to gather his cows and move them away from you.

Happy hunting!

Last edited:
Thanks. I appreciate the help. I will try both ambushing and decoys. I gonna be hunting on the east side of Washington. Any hot spots over there ? No draws, just general.:(

I agree the Montanna decoy helps in most situations when you are alone. Pay attention to the wind when you set your decoy out. I don't know that not calling is the "best" method. I think you should be prepared to use different methods based on given situations. I have never had a problem calling Elk into myself but is definitely more diificult than calling for other hunters. The Elk will pinpoint the call and often circle downwind and smell you. Sometimes you get lucky, one love sick bull won't pay attention to anything, he'll just come in recklessly and you'll be successful. Good luck.

Bow hunting elk is best done with a hunting buddy that is around 30 yards
behind the bow hunter .

"BUT" if you hunt by your self then you should still hunt untill you locate a
hot bull and after a few calls move 30 or so yards downwind of your calling
position and set up.

If he seems to hold up then use a cow call 'sparingly' with your hands around it facing
the area you were calling from( the sound will reflect off of the trees or other
objects not giving away your position).

Its kind of like turkey hunting,Once you have his interest make him hunt for you.

Good luck and good hunting
J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.