Bolt locking lugs look gouged.

7man

I was cleaning my Howa 1500 the other day and I noticed the bolt lug had a pretty good gouge in it. I tried to take one of my tools and see if I could feel any damage on the receiver lugs. I couldn't feel any grooves, but there has to be some damage to it. I'll post some pictures soon.
Should I be concerned? Is this rifle fine or should I get it to a gunsmith?

HowaBoltLug_zps74e42a28.jpg

No gunsmith close by.

It's not a perfect picture, but out of 50 photos this one was the best. Upper right you'll see the area with the gouge.

How much should it cost to have a gunsmith true up the action?

Last edited:
HowaBoltLug_zps74e42a28.jpg

No gunsmith close by.

It's not a perfect picture, but out of 50 photos this one was the best. Upper right you'll see the area with the gouge.

How much should it cost to have a gunsmith true up the action?

Most factory locking lugs look rough.

I have one question though, In the picture the top part of the right hand lug looks like it may be cracked (It might be the picture) and fi the mark goes all the way around you may have a problem.

I see the mark on two sides (Back and right side in the top portion).

if not just wear it in .

J E CUSTOM

I had a similar problem with a vanguard. had the lugs lapped and it was good to go. Even with the gaulled mark it still shot below an inch. lapping made the mark go away but accuracy was still the same.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.