• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Bolt action .223

Basher42

I'm in need of a lighter-recoiling, somewhat less-expensive to shoot rifle as health and financials dictate I cut back the .308 for now. So, since I already have plenty of brass and powder for it, I'm looking for a bolt action rifle chambered in .223 (I MAY consider .223AI) with a 1:7, 1:8, or MAYBE a 1:9 depending on the deal (faster is preferred). Barrel needs to be 20" or longer and heavier in profile.

Ideally I'm looking for a Tikka T3X, R700/clone, Weatherby Vanguard/Howa 1500, or maybe a Savage 10/12. The idea is finding a factory rifle/barreled action with decent aftermarket support that's a known quantity in the precision realm as that's my main use, along with some occasional varmint hunting. Mag fed is a serious plus but not necessarily required as long as the action supports it so I can upgrade it in time.

I'll note that I cannot afford a full-blown custom rig at this time, my budget is around $600-1000 depending on options (less is better but don't shy away from offers on the higher end of that!). Thanks in advance!

CZ's are suppose to be tack drivers, this one looks like a beauty.....but take a look at the rest of their website.

P.S. also take a peek at Bergara.

I have a 527 in .223 already but it's a slower twist (1:12 if memory serves). It'll work great for the 53gr V-Max and 55gr Blitzkings I plan to use with it, but a) it'll only handle up to 69SMK, b) I don't want to have one rifle with multiple loads/zeroes I have to switch between, and c) mags are capped at 5rnds. Since I'm looking at using this for local NRL/PRS matches, I really need an AICS/10rnd capable rifle. Love the little 527 otherwise, though!

As for the 600 series, they killed it when they removed the quick change barrel ability. That, and while I'm sure it's a nice rifle overall there's essentially zero aftermarket support for it. I'd have to really like it as it is, and I ultimately intend to wind up with either a KRG Bravo (on the low end) or a McMillan/Manners on the high end. The CZ600 is unable to utilize either of those at this time, and I'm not willing to gamble on that changing.

I guess a Ruger is not in play?

At the moment, that's correct. KRG makes a Bravo for the American, but beyond that I'm uneducated on what upgrade pathways exist for Rugers (other than the RPR) and I don't want to be totally locked in to something I don't know has a clear path forward to accuracy enhancements that follow the PRS/NRL path. That being said, feel free to PM me details on what you have and what you're thinking, and I'll do more snooping on my end. I hear Rugers are generally good rifles for what they are, but short of the RPR they're not marketed as "precision" rifles. If you happen to have a reasonably priced RPR in 5.56, then that grabs my attention a bit more. :)

You can get a savage 10,12 on sale cheap. Watch cabelas and bass pro. My 12 is a tac driver I paid $350 for it before a $100 savage rebate. That darn cheap *** rifle just shoots. HS makes a stock for the short actions that is pretty good for the price point. It wont make it shoot any better but much better than the tupperware.

These are a shooter. Not mine but just came across it.

You can get a savage 10,12 on sale cheap. Watch cabelas and bass pro. My 12 is a tac driver I paid $350 for it before a $100 savage rebate. That darn cheap *** rifle just shoots. HS makes a stock for the short actions that is pretty good for the price point. It wont make it shoot any better but much better than the tupperware.

Will do!

That's a 1:12 twist so it won't quite work for me, but thank you!

I would find Rem700 action and get a Remage barrel from https://theurbanriflemanstore.com/ALL-PREFIT-BARRELS-FOR-BOLT-GUNS for $319.00 and find the stock of your choice, there are lots of used stocks for the 700 out there. He has the barrel twist you want and both .223 or .233AI reamers and also several contours too choose from. If you are looking for a BR style stock his work real well, they work fine for F-Class also. His barrels shoot real good. If you don't like the barrel nut you can have him or someone else chamber it for your rifle but if your on a budget the barrel nut is a great way to go.

Also the 6x45 or 6x45AI is a great cartridge with no recoil, I did a 6x204R in a fast twist barrel and it shoots 95gr SMK's lights out. I have regularly taken rock chucks out past 800yards with it. Throated for the 95gr SMK it just so happens to shoot the 87gr V-MAX great also. And they hammer deer sized game real well with a good bullet such as the 95gr Partition, 80gr BADLANDS Bulldozer, 90gr tipped Gameking just to name a few.

Last edited:
I have one and had it rebarreled done by back nor put a timney trigger in it. Or go savage and order a faster twist prefit