Blown primer in .243 Ackley

I have Ackley improved rifles in 4 different calibers. Head space can be a serious problem relating to over pressure. Other then my latest 280 ai which is reamed to the new nosler sammi specs. The reamers are based on the gun Smith's specs for the reamer. When I fire form my brass I use trail boss powder for the initial fire form and then a light load for the second load. This ensures the best case forming to the chamber eliminating head space problems

You guys can't compare lead cot bullets to mono bullets by weight. Just because a 105 lead core Bullet works with a given weight of powder doesn't mean it will work with a monolithic Bullet if same or a little lesser weight. Most the times a mono Bullet is going to have quite a bit longer bearing surface than a lead core given the mono is made from less dense material. That means they have to use more material to get the weight, the material has to go somewhere, thus the longer Bering surface. Longer Bering surface means more pressure
Both Barnes & Hammer have reliefs in the bearing surface so there is actually less bearing surface contact, and Hammers are much softer getting a big velocity edge over Barnes and without the pressure spikes of Barnes. Hammers are insensitive to seating depth, unlike the Barnes. I am switching out my Cutting Edge Monos for Hammers as I run out as they are a superior performer for hunting, just as accurate, but slightly lower BC than CEB but same or higher than Barnes. They are the easiest bullet to load for I have EVER used, and their customer support is 2nd to none.
hammer-gift.jpg

Both Barnes & Hammer have reliefs in the bearing surface so there is actually less bearing surface contact, and Hammers are much softer getting a big velocity edge over Barnes and without the pressure spikes of Barnes. Hammers are insensitive to seating depth, unlike the Barnes. I am switching out my Cutting Edge Monos for Hammers as I run out as they are a superior performer for hunting, just as accurate, but slightly lower BC than CEB but same or higher than Barnes. They are the easiest bullet to load for I have EVER used, and their customer support is 2nd to none.
View attachment 117704
pretty cool looking bullet but terrible BCs

Alright I finally got back out to mess with it again. I switch to fed brass instead of Lapua, first firing after fire forming. Still with H4831sc and 95gr LRX.

38gr - 2854fps
39gr - 2910
40gr - 2945
41gr - 3049
42gr - 3046

Very slight ejector mark at 42gr, velocity seems a bit low.

Looks to me like you're right there where it should be, actually a couple grains light for what I'd have figured to get those velocities just looking at my books for comparison. If you want another 100fps try H414 or W760.

Looks to me like you're right there where it should be, actually a couple grains light for what I'd have figured to get those velocities just looking at my books for comparison. If you want another 100fps try H414 or W760.

Seems close for a .243 win (even 100 fps slow according to some books) but for an Ackley I would expect at least 200 fps more...

Seems close for a .243 win (even 100 fps slow according to some books) but for an Ackley I would expect at least 200 fps more...

My .243AI with 115's and 45.5gn of RL-23 seated to 2.87" COAL went 3200fps from 26" barrel with plenty left. Could have touched 3300fps but that would have been hard on brass.

I forget if you looked at RL26 ? Builds pressure fast above ~84F though.
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?type=1&powderid=40&cartridge=51

RL-23 and RL-26 have been turning in some spanky results. Good stuff with 95gn and above but best with 105's and 115's. I got a good bit of flash from bullets under 100gn with RL-23, all 5 of them that I fired anyway. Got just the tiniest bit of flash on only a few rounds total from RL-23. I think RL-23 might be a bit slow unless the barrel is really long, like 28" or better. It'll be louder in any event.

As an FYI, people commented about who profoundly loud my gun was with the RL-23 loads.

Brass Life - Running at 65,000 PSI in some factory loadings will stress brass. The factory gets away with it because its only 1 firing.

When we reload, trying to match or exceed factory velocities over a chronograph, the pressure may be the same or higher. At these pressures, brass life may be limited to 2 or 3 reloadings. Primer pockets may loosen, enlarge a small amount each firing. If pockets become loose sooner then 5 firings, the powder charge needs to be reduced.

Accuracy should be found below the maximum loading data for longer case life. If you really need more or maximum velocity, trade up to a larger cartridge. There are many in the same bullet type diameter available today.

This is general information, not directed at anyone.

I loaded up 5 more at 41.5gr...

avg 3155

First 3 shots on the left, final 2 after I moved it over...I think it'll work ok. Still a bit slower that I expected and I'm not sure why the velocity increased from the other day?!
IMG_20190127_140307966.jpg

My .243AI with 115's and 45.5gn of RL-23 seated to 2.87" COAL went 3200fps from 26" barrel with plenty left. Could have touched 3300fps but that would have been hard on brass.

RL-23 and RL-26 have been turning in some spanky results. Good stuff with 95gn and above but best with 105's and 115's. I got a good bit of flash from bullets under 100gn with RL-23, all 5 of them that I fired anyway. Got just the tiniest bit of flash on only a few rounds total from RL-23. I think RL-23 might be a bit slow unless the barrel is really long, like 28" or better. It'll be louder in any event.

As an FYI, people commented about who profoundly loud my gun was with the RL-23 loads.
Personally I am very very pleased with R23,
GREAT results

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.