Blackpowder substitute recommendation

ihuntak

I drew a muzzleloader moose tag and plan on using an early CVA .54 express double caplock. It shoots the 54 powerbelts over 120 grains bp pretty accurately and regulates well. With a moose size target, i'm comfortable out to 150 yards. My LGS ran out of BP and likely won't get any in before the hunt begins and its the only game in town. Any recommendations what BP substitute would be worthwhile trying. Thanks.

I drew a muzzleloader moose tag and plan on using an early CVA .54 express double caplock. It shoots the 54 powerbelts over 120 grains bp pretty accurately and regulates well. With a moose size target, i'm comfortable out to 150 yards. My LGS ran out of BP and likely won't get any in before the hunt begins and its the only game in town. Any recommendations what BP substitute would be worthwhile trying. Thanks.
Blackhorn 209 is far and away the best BP substitute and I have used them all. You do need a 209 primer to set it off reliably, but with that you get consistent, and high velocity, good shelf life and superior accuracy. Since I doubt you can convert your cap lock to the 209 primer, 777 would be about the best. It does drop in velocity after it has been opened for more than 12 months but not near as bad as American Pioneer. American Pioneer and the Shockey stuff are pure garbage for a variety of reasons. Personally, I would pay the Hazmat fee and get some real BP delivered from Track of the Wolf or some other supplier. You will never improve on the consistency of real BP. I don''t know how long it takes to get drawwn for that Moose tag, but I would never risk blowing a great tag trying to use an inferior powder when for just a few bucks more I can get the best there is..

BH209 is the best BP sub I've used. However, if the gun wasn't designed with BH209 in mind (ie - breech plug design and flash channel length) ignition can be a problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.