BL-C (2) in .308 Win - What the heck???

I am using once-fired Federal cases. I also understand compressed loads, so there is no need to be condescending. I have done compressed loads in both smokeless and black powder. At 51 grains with no settling, the powder comes right to the top of the case and, with settling, drops about 3/16 of an inch. I can work with that. At 56 grains, there is no way to get it to settle enough to get it in the case, settled or otherwise.

The data for Barnes is using Winchester cases.

1716683619726.png

Compressed charges for some cases and powders are not unusual. That is what drop tubes and various vibrators are for, i.e electric tooth brush, electric razor, top of brass vibrating polisher, etc, etc. You will notice there are 7 compressed (c) charges on that data page.

Always start at the lower charge and work up.
I use this, borrowed from my buddy's mom...
71AtcLqBOjL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

This might not help the OP ,but a few years ago I worked up a load with a 165 grain bullet in my 22" 1-10 .308 with BLC2 that was a real tack driver. When I went to load up a batch of ammo for a hunt,I was low on powder so I picked up some more. With the new batch of powder I could not duplicate the load, different lot number, acted like a different powder.

The point that I'm trying to make is that with the difference in brass capacities,primers,powder lots,,the data in a loading manual can just be an approximation of what you can expect to get. There are too many variables that have to be considered.

I have found a couple of egregious errors in Barnes data on their website and in their manual. They swore the data was correct. But lo and behold 6 hours later it was deleted from their website.

Compressed charges are one thing but IMHO, something is very wrong with this data.

1) Indeed for a 130 grn bullet, the Hodgdon website shows 51.5 grns vs. 56.4. That's a difference 4.9 grains. Regardless of compression, I can find no other loads for similar burn rate powders where compression leads to a 9.5% increase in max powder charge.

2) Even looking at 125 grain bullet loads the Max charge I can find is 52.4

3) The 308 win has spec'd case capacity of 56 grains. Granted that is of water, but I would be surprised if there is any load data (compressed or not) where the powder charge weight exceeds the SAAMI spec case capacity.

I am trying to work up a load for my 308 using Barnes 130 TSX. The manual from Barnes says a max charge of 56 grains. No way that will fit! I went to Hodgdon's website and they say 51 grains. That goes to the rim of the case and I have to tap the case to get it to settle enough to fit a bullet in. Something doesn't seem right here. Anyone else have this issue?

View attachment 574299
I wouldn't like that.
I would try something like IMR4064 so I could work up a ladder load hopefully

I am trying to work up a load for my 308 using Barnes 130 TSX. The manual from Barnes says a max charge of 56 grains. No way that will fit! I went to Hodgdon's website and they say 51 grains. That goes to the rim of the case and I have to tap the case to get it to settle enough to fit a bullet in. Something doesn't seem right here. Anyone else have this issue?

View attachment 574299
I too noticed this a while back. Asked the same question. Same type responses. Never a direct answer. If you want, call the manufacturer and ask them. However, for safety sake, start at 50 and work your way up. Watch the pressures. Stop filling when you get nice accurate hits. No sense in wasting powder. Using this light weight bullet will zip along very nicely even with a somewhat light load. Stay safe and have fun.

No, it is not "whack". You just have to understand how to load compressed charges. It is a long understood and used practice in reloading.
So you can load a longer bullet of the same weight at the same COAL and get the same pressure, and MV? I like to see that! Some of their data in my personal experience is Whacked!

So you can load a longer bullet of the same weight at the same COAL and get the same pressure, and MV? I like to see that! Some of their data in my personal experience is Whacked!
When I read manufacturers loads, I do so with a grain of salt. I never completly trust their figures. There are too many variables. (Primers, cases, equipment etc..) I use them as a starting point ONLY. Your milage will vary.

Recent Posts