BH209!!! WTHeck!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to do the math on cost saving per shot for a smokeless ml vs blackhorn and see how long it would take to make up the 600 dollar barrel for the TL3.

I'm not a black powder shooter and I don't know what BH209 powder is, so if my comment does not make sense, please disregard it:
Are you folks aware that You Tube has a couple of videos about how to make black powder fairly safely. They make it wet and it won't burn until it dries out.
Not that I'm going to make any, but that sounds like you could shoot muzzle loaders for a lot less money with real black powder instead of a synthetic substitute.
Why would you need your powder to be smokeless? Doesn't that kind of negate the idea of shooting a muzzle loader?
If you want smokeless, just shoot any standard cartridge rifle and stop messing with a muzzle loader.

Last edited:
I have a bow. I built a smokeless so I can shoot frequently then shoot Blackhorn when I have to. It's just a shame that Hodgdon bought Western then doubled the price because I like the smoke and performance of the BH209 without the cleaning.
Just a curiosity question…in states that don't allow smokeless muzzleloader's can you just run some traditional mz powder such as 209 or 777 in the smokeless mz and be legal?

I saw a auction for 3,000 Winchester Large Rifles primers that only had a few bids so I threw in a bid of $250.00 after reading here about $150 to $170 prices. Since I only had 300 primers left, I felt compelled! I couldn't believe I won, and I wasn't going to bid higher because there is a 12% buyers premium and 5.5% tax to boot. End cost... $295.40 which equals $98.46 per 1,000. I felt like I won a lottery until I looked at my last box price....$59.95 . Sheesch, we are screwed. We are in a Catch 22, damned if you do, damned if you don't, high demand yet situation. Ugh.

What has happened to make the price of bh209 skyrocket???

Just saw some on the shelf of sportsmans warehouse yesterday --$80+ tax for 8 oz---- that's over $160 per pound!!!!

I remember when it first came out it was $23/10 oz

View attachment 482254
When I started using BH209 4yrs ago it was 36.88 per 10oz bottle at Wallymart. At PV or MSS it was 234.00 for a 5lb jug. The last time I bought some was right before the 10oz bottles went away & I paid 49.95 ea.
As much as I like BH209 & getting away from pellets or loose T7, I'm NOT going to be held prisoner to the BH209 monopoly & stranglehold it has on its consumers. I have evolved into learning about smokeless powders to still be able to afford to get my regular trigger therapy in. I have a 400+ yd shooting range with bench in the backyard. I've gone to a few smokeless builds & using powders from .42.00-52.00 per lb. I will not target shoot with BH209 anymore. I will save the 4-5lbs I still have for when I must use it to hunt legally. Outside of that, its T& or smokeless muzzleloading for me - until, Hodgdon has dropped the price down to " bargain basement prices " & are begging us to buy it again.

There is no real competition to BH209. Until someone comes out with an alternative powder, with the attributes of BH209, they can charge whatever they want. I have enough for awhile because I only shoot my ML occasionally. Regular ML shooters have no great options.
There are a lot of various smokeless builds avail now. Everything from 1300.00 brake action conversions to LR BR Comp bolt actions. Then theres the re-emergence of the TC Omega's being converted to smokeless rigs. I have one in .40 1:14 Brux Omega & another in a small cal. Next will be a .45 1:18 build. I have two muzzleloaders that I've upgraded & now shoot straight smokeless powders out of. There really are quite a few options one can take, its all in knowing about reloading, what powders do what with X bullet at Y velocity, at what pressure peak & curve, You'd be amazed at the options one has with a little education & creative outside the box thinking.

What we need to watch for. Is there is talk of a Bill. Where there will be a very large heard 800 % charge for all firearms sporting good. It has been proposed bit have not heard more about it so far.

What we need to watch for. Is there is talk of a Bill. Where there will be a very large heard 800 % charge for all firearms sporting good. It has been proposed bit have not heard more about it so far.
Racist bill is racist. It would preclude certain socioeconomic demographics from purchases due to the high price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts