BH209 and cleaning

Thompsonj

I've been shooting bh209 for a little bit with some 250gr parkers ballistic extreme. How often do you clean your barrel with the bh209 and how does it affect your groups

I started using this…. Works great but fairly expensive.
IMG_0836.jpeg

Plain old hoppes #9 with blackhorn, I only ever shoot 5 through it at the range then clean, it's not a rifle I shoot a lot, especially during hunting season, then it never gets shot . Cleaning doesn't affect groups for me

I've been shooting bh209 for a little bit with some 250gr parkers ballistic extreme. How often do you clean your barrel with the bh209 and how does it affect your groups
Clean your barrel................ are you referring to swabbing between rounds, or actually cleaning???

BH is like any other BP substitute, corrosive. Just not as bad as most others. I completely clean after every range session.

If you're talking swabbing between rounds while at the range, when competing all the competitors will swab between every round.

My Encore 209x50 gets harder to load with every shot even when using BH209. For that reason, I swab between shots. Many other BH209 users find swabbing between shots to be unnecessary. You may have to see what your particular rifle needs.

Last edited:
Clean your barrel................ are you referring to swabbing between rounds, or actually cleaning???

BH is like any other BP substitute, corrosive. Just not as bad as most others. I completely clean after every range session.

If you're talking swabbing between rounds while at the range, when competing all the competitors will swab between every round.
Yes stabbing between shots.

I don't swab between shots when shooting BH209. I get phenomenal accuracy.

I also shoot the Hornady Bore Driver 340 ELDX which is easy to load.

With BH209 I go up to 3 shots then run a patch with BH Solvent followed by a couple of dry patches. I don't shoot the ML that much, but enough to keep it dialed in for hunting.

Some years ago, there was a BP substitute called Clear Shot that you could shoot 35 or more shots and never clean. Also, it would not corrode your Stainless barrel from year to year if left loaded. Jim Shocky bought the product, I do not know what happened to it, but I think that there was a name change. I shot this Clear shot in Hawkins 50 cal, Knight 50 cal with my brother shooting it in a 54 Cal Knight.

The BH209 is really some nasty stuff compared to the Clear Shot that Jim Shocky was/is selling, like night and day difference.

I did a search and found Jim Shocky's black powder substitute:

After you try the Jim's powder, you will never use the other stuff, EVER! I am in no way affiliated with Jim Shockey or his company.

Last edited: