Best mistake I've built

Ksmirk

Fella's you ever get an itch and scratch it? this is what I did, I was looking for a long range deer rifle (now long range around my parts is maybe 800) and didn't want it to feel like I was a pack mule so something on the lighter side. This rifle was going to be a 280 Rem but we found a 284 Win reamer and thought hey this could be fun! chambered and reamed the throat to take the 162 A-Max at a COL of 3.100" got with McGowen for the barrel and the action is from my first build a 308 that I finally shot the barrel out, it's a Yugo Mauser action, the stock well I got with Boyds and a few days later had it in hand. Scope base is a +20 MOA from Ken Farrell and I went with Warne rings, I had a Nikon 6-18 on the shelf so it found a new home.

Hope you fella's like it got a little creative on the barrel during the bluing process and I think it turned out well. Later,

001-1.jpg

Here's the barrel treatment I was talking about, kinda cool huh?

006-1.jpg

Hope you guys like it, it's not a super mag capable of taking game at 2000 yards but it fits my needs pretty dang great. Have a good one fella's. Later,

Kirk

Takes a lot of practice to do perfectly but that is just the plastic protection that the tube is in when it comes from the maker. Just bead blast over it. Done quite a few that way..

Yep Boss you would be right! polished the barrel a bit then blast with light media and walla you've got some cool little patterns, now Boss I was goig to sell the idea for a limited time of $19.95 + S&H so much for that idea now :D

Thanks fella's it's by no means perfect but hey neither am I, again thanks for the good words. Later,

Kirk

Still working up loads but found one that is promising, the velocity is amazing to say the least much fater than I thougt it would be which I'll not complain about and it seems to like the 162 A-Max. I've been using the Hybrid 100V powder but have a pound of RL-17 that I'm really looking forward to trying I just don't seem to have enough time in my life for serious range time but I need to take me a weekend. Shooting 3 shot groups normally the first 2 will touch but I get excited and pull the 3rd so groups are around the .75 - 1.00 not spectacular but they will get better or at least I hope I can get them better. I'll see if I can get some targets posted when I get some after I get some bugs worked out. Later,

Kirk

Fella's thanks for the good words, this is number 6 build for me granted I have had some great help from a friend I'm still scared to thread a barrel and some other things that pop up plus he has all the tools :D but I'm getting to where I can do much more the more I do. I really ready to get out and get some serious range time in I've got a 308 that I'm not done with that as soon as it gets back from Kevin getting a mag conversion done and my AI mags show up it will need some attention. Again thanks it makes a guy feel good when others like thier work. Later,

Kirk

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.