Best hunting in Oklahoma in 2014

Waynard

Looking for some good hunting places in Ok. Looking for deer & hog the most, but I'll hunt, kill and eat about anything.

Hi Waynard, The State offers some good hunting even right around the Mustang
Area. It comes down to what you are looking for. Guided, lease land or public. Hogs are west, south and east not much in the north part of the state largest are in the E-SE part of the state, for quantity the southern part has huge numbers. Deer are good state wide even in public land, Our Quail have been hit hard by drought/predators over the past few years, but are making a slow come back.
I am a diehard Turkey hunter, I don't pay a lot of attention to the rest of the game
Note; you may want to put in on the controlled hunts for deer or elk, dead line for putting is May 15th visit online "ODWC" if you want I can give you some good places to put in for if I know what you are looking for.

Thanks for the reply, I'm looking mostly for deer hunting in or around Mustang. Like to keep hunting close to home and I'm looking for public land. I'm new to the area. But I'm not opposed to traveling for better hunting. A fellow in a gun shop told me up around Kaw lake was some of the best but there was alot of hunting pressure there.

No public close to Mustang all lease land. "Kaw Lake" pressure is a under statement lol, Kaw is around 17,000 acres. Black Kettle is good, it's in the western part of the state. I think there is like 32000 acres best part is it is divided into units, some are as small as 50 acres with over 100 units, very open land if you like plains hunting. SE is good too "Ouachita" is around 350,000 acres mountain's thick woods lot of hogs. There are other public lands down there to. I have not hunted there to much I like the open land and long shots. You really need to check out the controlled hunts, if you draw, that's prime deer hunting on non hunted land. If you want to put in, I can help you out with what units to put in for. If you are interested in Black kettle I might be able to find my old book on some of my old haunts. I used to keep records of what units I took bucks out of.

Thanks again okie farmer, that Black Kettle sounds like the best place until I can understand your game and land laws here. From what I've read in the Regs.Guide it is not the same as PA. Where do I find maps of land borders and how the units are broken up in Black Kettle?
You said its long range hunting, about how far are your shots? What is the best caliber rifle for hunting out there? These may sound like silly questions but back in PA. just about all of my shots where under 100 yards and most where 35 to 50 yards.
Now, I have a 30-06 with a 22 inch sporter barrel that shoots 1/2 groups at 100 yards, a sporterized 7mm Mauser that was my Dads(20 inch barrel)and a AR15 223.

For Black Kettle, That 06 is a good choice. some shots may be as close as 100 yard average is about 150 to 300. If you are up for the challenge 500 + is common. I called ODWC about public hunting maps they are working up new ones but won't be available till some time in OCT,
No Problems though, I dug around and found my book, it's duct taped, old warn out, full of bullet holes but it gets the job done and has over 40 + years of hunting logs I recorded. We will just have to hook up, you are welcome to study it.

Sounds like a good idea, I'd like to know as much about an area as I can before hunting there. I'm not real familiar with the area other than Mustang but you name a place and time to meet and I'll try to find it.

okie farmer, can't open pm. I'v got a pop up blocker and I don't know how to disable it. Is there some other way?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.