Best Brass???

Ol'Gator

Curious as to your opinion of who makes the best brass. I have a H-S Precision coming in 7mm STW and have noticed there's not a big selection to choose from. Also, how about 7 mm R.M. and .223 Rem. More to choose from with these two.

Thanks.

Norma brass is very uniform in 7 Wby if it is availabe in 7STW. Necks are very "soft". Primer pockets, flash holes very consistent

Rem brass in 17 Rem.(I am assuming it is the same as the 223) requires a good bit of prep work to achieve the same quality of consistency as the Norma.

There seems to be three groups of people on the forum:
1. A piece of brass should last a you a life time and be handed down as a family heirloom.

2. Buy cheap bulk and sort for the good ones.

3. Buy expensive brass and fire it a couple of times until you melt it or the primer falls out and then buy some more.

I am the last category

PS If you run a search there was a Poll taken on this about 6-9 months ago.

Ol'Gator,
Many 7 STW shooters like to form their brass from new Norma 300 H&H cases.
I cant help you on the 7mm Rem Mag, i have never checked that case out.
As for the 223, Lapua is arguably the best you can get.

Ian.

Although I generally never have anything good to say about Rem brass, I will say that properly prepped 7STW Rem brass has been used to consistently shoot groups <.5moa in my rifle.

Midway sells Win brass in 7STW and may be a better choice. I never tried any 300H&H brass so can't comment on that stuff.

I got my hands on some once fired fed brass and seems to do pretty well in the 7 mm RM, hanging in at .5-.7 Looks like the stw will require more innovative measurers to come up with brass. I've never tried my hand at fire-forming brass.

I don't mind paying for quality when it's available.

Thanks to everyone.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.