Best ballistic software???

PrimeTime

Right now I use an online program that gives trajectories. It is effective but I want to buy a program that is more detailed.
I would like software that has the cartridges
listed so that you can select one and a barrel length and get approximate velocities and such. It also needs to be easy to use.
Any recommendations would be appreciated. Please include the estimated cost as that will be considered.
Thanks-
Sam

watachi

There is a program called Shootist that is quite good but it only goes out to 600 yards. It has alot of ballistics measures including a game weight capability measure and a simulator that allows you to practice shooting with the ballistics of your cartridge and bullet. Also has some great firearm and load tracking, and a shooting log with some neat summary statistics capabilities for velocity, pressure, and group size. Check it out at www.shootistpc.com

Jon A

Right now I'm using the Sierra software that comes with their CD-ROM reloading manual. It isn't too fancy but does pretty much anything I need it to, and it was cheaper than some of the other software I was looking at.

Some features it has that some other don't:

Has BC info for about any major brand of bullet (including factory loads).

You can specify different BC's for different velocities on the same bullet.

It will give you bullet path and wind drift in 1/4 or 1/8 MOA clicks if you want.

It goes to 8000 yds (is that far enough?).

I'm sure there's better stuff out there but this is adequate for my purposes and the price was right.

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce