Best $800-$1200 TYD 10x42 class binocular? (not really for hunting)

If you were to compare them to a $1k set you'd be amazed at how bad they are. I have a set of Vipers and they're total junk compared to my other optics. I let my daughters use them now.
I got them just to trade but i also have an older pair of sworos i compared them with and I was impressed. I may have gotten a good pair as it's a sample of one.

I got them just to trade but i also have an older pair of sworos i compared them with and I was impressed. I may have gotten a good pair as it's a sample of one.
Valid. I may have a bad pair too. I just know my eyes used to ache when glassing for a while now with my SLC HDs they don't. My Vipers are also the older Japan made ones, not the newer Chinese ones.

Very much appreciate all the suggestions...but he saw the Razor HD on sale at Cabelas for $700 and snatched them up before I could get back to him with info from this thread.

I'm sure he'll be happy with them, particularly at that price (he was already reluctant to spend $1000). I'm curious to see how they perform, though I've really got nothing to compare them too except a pair of Fury rangefinder binos.

Thanks again for all the comments. Hopefully they'll help others on a similar quest.

Take a look at Maven. I have their range finder and am very pleased with it. At least with the range finder, you get a lot of bang for your buck. Granted I never looked through any of their binos, but I'd have to believe they are great option.

If you were to compare them to a $1k set you'd be amazed at how bad they are. I have a set of Vipers and they're total junk compared to my other optics. I let my daughters use them now.
The $200 Athlon Midas and $50-$100-$225 (exact same binoculars different selling prices eBay/Amazon) ScoopX are night and day clearer than the Vipers and on par with the Razor HD and Zeiss Conquest and Athlon Cronus UHD Gen 2.

Very much appreciate all the suggestions...but he saw the Razor HD on sale at Cabelas for $700 and snatched them up before I could get back to him with info from this thread.

I'm sure he'll be happy with them, particularly at that price (he was already reluctant to spend $1000). I'm curious to see how they perform, though I've really got nothing to compare them too except a pair of Fury rangefinder binos.

Thanks again for all the comments. Hopefully they'll help others on a similar quest.
And sellers wonder why it's so difficult to sell their used Razor HDs for $750...

They were on sale for $500-$600 last month at Cabela's and Bass Pro and even cheaper with the Cabela's club card.

If you never plan to sell it then it's worth paying the higher prices for.

The Razor HD is clearer than the Fury 5000 rangefinder binoculars which is similar to Viper glass.

Vortex has the best no questions asked lifetime warranty in the business and they even send you a prepaid return shipping label if you need to use their warranty like how Arken does. Even if you damaged it or got burnt in a house fire (VORTEX) will send you a brand new replacement and can't say this about all other brands though.

Valid. I may have a bad pair too. I just know my eyes used to ache when glassing for a while now with my SLC HDs they don't. My Vipers are also the older Japan made ones, not the newer Chinese ones.
You're probably not wrong still. Bad pair or not.

The vipers are really a $300 optic with the Vortex price tag. I had the whole bino series. Sold my razor HD's on here.

I got the Razor UHDs that look exactly like the SLC's optically, in my eyes.

Last edited:
You're probably not wrong still.

The vipers are really a $300 optic with the Vortex price tag. I had the whole bino series. Sold my razor HD's on here.

The SIG Zulu 9 and Maven B2 are very similar as well. The Vortex warranty is the best though.

Since the OP's father already purchased a pair of binoculars and this thread will serve to help anyone else with the same questions, one thing to keep in mind is fit and function. Everyone likes to compare glass which is of course very important as looking at things is the main reason for binoculars. You also want to look at diopter function, weight, fit in the hand and eyecup comfort.
I sent in an old pair of Leupold binoculars that they could not repair and received a pair of the BX binoculars in exchange. I had read the eyecups were not comfortable but they were essentially free or I could upgrade to a higher model by paying the difference. I'm glad I didn't upgrade because the eyecups absolutely suck. The glass is ok but I cannot get over the eyecups and I am not a picky person.
Someone suggested checking the birding sites. That is an excellent idea. Those people live in their binoculars and the reviews are very comprehensive.

You're probably not wrong still. Bad pair or not.

I really think the Vortex Razor UHDs are the only binoculars from Vortex that would satisfy the most discerning eyes. Online Outfitters has opened box models on sale. Does anyone know of any other places that sell them for less?

I'd buy their Razor HD if I see them selling for $500-$600 again though like the past sale at Cabela's. Their typical selling prices are just way too high for what you actually get IMHO. If they moved their Razor HD production back to Japan then I think they may be worth paying the higher prices for.

Since the OP's father already purchased a pair of binoculars and this thread will serve to help anyone else with the same questions, one thing to keep in mind is fit and function. Everyone likes to compare glass which is of course very important as looking at things is the main reason for binoculars. You also want to look at diopter function, weight, fit in the hand and eyecup comfort.
I sent in an old pair of Leupold binoculars that they could not repair and received a pair of the BX binoculars in exchange. I had read the eyecups were not comfortable but they were essentially free or I could upgrade to a higher model by paying the difference. I'm glad I didn't upgrade because the eyecups absolutely suck. The glass is ok but I cannot get over the eyecups and I am not a picky person.
Someone suggested checking the birding sites. That is an excellent idea. Those people live in their binoculars and the reviews are very comprehensive.
The BX5 Santiam binoculars have removable eyecups that can be unscrewed. Perhaps you could contact Leupold to see if they have different improved ones you can get for free or check around to see if there's compatible screw in eyecups from other brands such as Maven and SIG or Vortex UHD.

Maven B2 if you are okay with 9x45 if not sig Zulu 10 if you can find on sale. You could probably find both used around your budget.

Swaro SLC 10x42 if you don't mind used.
100% This fall I picked up 10x42 slc and razor hd 12x50. Even being lower magnification the slc offer a much better image. The razors aren't bad but they bounce around in my pickup now and the slc get to go on hunts.

Edit. These both replaced a set of 10x42 viper and I would not recommend those at all.